Skip to content

GOTHIC HORROR: Nearly 800 children's graves found near Irish unwed mother home

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
6/4/2014 (3 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)

Children believed to have been buried in septic tank between 1925 and 1961

In a revelation far more grisly than the most harrowing stories of Gothic horror, the bodies of nearly 800 children have been discovered near the home for unwed mothers in Ireland this week. The children were believed buried in a septic tank between the years of 1925 and 1961.

Local historian Catherine Corless has delved into the troubled history of 'The Home.' The facility was a former workhouse that had been turned into a home for mothers and their babies in 1925 by the Sisters of Bon Secours.

Local historian Catherine Corless has delved into the troubled history of "The Home." The facility was a former workhouse that had been turned into a home for mothers and their babies in 1925 by the Sisters of Bon Secours.

Highlights

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
6/4/2014 (3 years ago)

Published in Europe

Keywords: The Home, Tuam Ireland, unwed mothers, mass grave


LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - The mass grave found near the home in Tuam, Ireland, contained the bodies of children who either perished from infectious diseases or malnutrition.

Two boys stumbled across the unmarked grave when they were playing near the site of St. Mary's Mother and Baby Home, which has since been converted into a housing estate. Officials are now scrambling to determine how to proceed.

Starvation never takes a vacation --

Officials with the Catholic Church are meeting to discuss plans for a memorial for the 796 children. Ciaran Cannon, minister of state in Ireland's Department of Education, is calling for an inquiry into the mass grave.

"The evidence to date seems to suggest that something very horrific went on there," Cannon told reporters. "Let's try and determine exactly what happened here first of all. Surely, there are people alive who have a connection with the place. I do think an inquiry is required."

Local historian Catherine Corless has delved into the troubled history of "The Home." The facility was a former workhouse that had been turned into a home for mothers and their babies in 1925 by the Sisters of Bon Secours.

When Corless began to look for the death certificates for the children in the mass grave, she learned there were 796 deceased, ranging from infants to nine-year-olds.

"There and then I said this isn't right. There's nothing on the ground there to mark the grave, there's nothing to say it's a massive children's graveyard. It's laid abandoned like that since it was closed in 1961," Corless says. She's now leading a campaign to raise funds for a memorial that will list the names of all the children.

---


'Help give every student and teacher Free resources for a world-class moral Catholic education'


Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK

Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for JUNE 2017
National Leaders.
That national leaders may firmly commit themselves to ending the arms trade, which victimizes so many innocent people.


Comments


More Europe

Catholic hero gifted most prestigous award after saving woman's life during London Bridge terrorist attack Watch

Image of Ignacio Echeverria was a Spanish Catholic.

Catholic Hero, Ignacio Echeverria has been awarded one of Spain's most prestigious awards on June 9 for his actions during the London ... continue reading


Terrorist arrested after plowing into crowd of London Muslims Watch

Image of Police work the crime scene where a terrorist drove a van into a crowd of people in Finley Park, London.

A terrorist has been arrested after driving a van into a crowd of Muslims leaving evening worship in Finsbury Park, London. The terrorist, ... continue reading


Disgusting thief poses as pilgrim and STEALS part of St. John Bosco's BRAIN Watch

Image of St. John Bosco is the patron saint of juvenile delinquents.

A man posing as a pilgrim has stolen a piece of St. John Bosco's brain in Italy. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - According to ... continue reading


Catholic Cardinals around the world respond to appalling London terrorist attack Watch

Image of June 3rd's terrorist attack left seven dead and dozens more injured.

Catholic Cardinals and bishops throughout the world are offering their prayers after the terrorist attack in London last night that left ... continue reading


TERRORIST ATTACK: Another attack during Ramadan leaves innocent people dead - Pope Francis prays for victims Watch

Image of The most recent attack occurred on UK's London Bridge.

Over 149 people have been senselessly murdered in Ramadan attacks so far, and hundreds more have been injured. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic ... continue reading


Never Miss any Updates!

Stay up to date with the latest news, information, and special offers.

Catholic Online Logo

Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.