Skip to content

With a second Ebola outbreak in the Congo, how will African health officials stop the rising death toll?

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
8/26/2014 (2 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)

U.S. official in Africa: Ebola currently 'has the upper hand'

The World Health Organization (WHO) reported on August 26 that it had shut down a laboratory in Sierra Leone after a health worker became infected with Ebola, a move that some believe will hamper efforts to boost the global response to the worst outbreak of the disease.

Aid workers in Sierra Leone distribute food to patients infected with Ebola.

Aid workers in Sierra Leone distribute food to patients infected with Ebola.

Highlights

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
8/26/2014 (2 years ago)

Published in Africa

Keywords: Ebola, Health, Africa, International, Congo, Sierra Leone, Nigeria, Liberia


LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Since the outbreak began in March of 2014, 1,427 people have died, and 2,615 have become infected. A separate outbreak of the disease was confirmed in the Democratic Republic of the Congo on August 24.

In this dark time, you could be a light of hope in the darkness.

The WHO has deployed nearly 400 health workers from its own staff and partner organizations to fight the epidemic that is ravaging Sierra Leone, Liberia, Guinea and Nigeria.

On August 26, Nigeria's health minister said that Nigeria had "thus far contained" the Ebola outbreak, with only one of 13 cases being treated out of isolation.

The WHO said it withdrew staff from the laboratory at Kailahun-one of two such facilities in Sierra Leone-after a Senegalese epidemiologist was infected with the deadly disease.

"It's a temporary measure to take care of the welfare of our remaining workers," said WHO spokesperson Christy Feig, without specifying how long the measure would last. "After our assessment, they will return."

With resources already stretched thin trying to contain the West African outbreak, many health groups are unable to provide-or can only provide limited-help to combat the Ebola outbreak in the Congo.

A United Nation's mission in the Congo reported that 13 people had already died from the Sudanese strain of Ebola, five health workers among them.

"Usually, we would be able to mobilize specialist hemorrhagic fever teams, but we are currently responding to a massive epidemic in West Africa," said Jeroen Beijnberger, an aid group medical coordinator in Congo. "This is limiting our capacity to respond to the epidemic in Equateur Province."

Dr. Tom Frieden, director of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, is visiting several of the West African nations who are dealing with the Ebola outbreak.
 
"Lots of hard work is happening, lots of good things are happening," Frieden said during a meeting with Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf. "But the virus still has the upper hand."
 
Frieden did express optimism that the outbreak could be contained.
 
"Ebola doesn't spread by mysterious means, we know how it spreads," he said. "So we have the means to stop it from spreading, but it requires tremendous attention to every detail."

---


'Help give every student and teacher Free resources for a world-class moral Catholic education'


Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK

Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for MAY 2017
Christians in Africa.
That Christians in Africa, in imitation of the Merciful Jesus, may give prophetic witness to reconciliation, justice, and peace.


Comments


More Africa

26 Coptic Christians BRUTALLY MURDERED on bus to St. Samuel Monastery - many of them CHILDREN Watch

Image of The death toll of those killed during this attack is expected to rise.

Twenty-six Coptic Christians have been brutally murdered while on their way to the St. Samuel Monastery in Egypt. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic ... continue reading


Christian barber killed by masked men in shop - ISIS vows to increase attacks on Christians Watch

Image of Egyptian Christian killed outside his barbershop.

Forty-year-old Nabeel Saber Fawzi was in his barbershop in El-Arish, Egypt when four masked gunmen broke in. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic ... continue reading


Miracle in Nigeria - 82 Chibok schoolgirls RELEASED by terrorist group Boko Haram Watch

Image of Chibok schoool girls were released from Boko Haram.

In April 2014, the world was stunned when 276 schoolgirls were kidnapped by Nigerian terrorist organization Boko Haram. LOS ANGELES, CA ... continue reading


What did Egyptian zombies eat? A new discovery provides clues Watch

Image of The Egyptians believed their dead would arise and look for food...

Archaeologists have discovered the first ever example of an Egyptian funerary garden. The existence of such gardens has long been ... continue reading


Why did Pope Francis encourage Egyptian 'fanaticism?' Watch

Image of The only Egyptian fanaticism Pope Francis condones is that for God (AFP/Virginie Nguyen).

On Saturday Pope Francis told Egyptian Catholics that truly living the faith means ridding ourselves of hypocritical attitudes and focusing ... continue reading


Never Miss any Updates!

Stay up to date with the latest news, information, and special offers.

Catholic Online Logo

Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.