Skip to content

100 boys kidnapped by Nigerian terrorists to become child soldiers

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
8/18/2014 (2 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)

Boko Haram raids another village

Fighters from the Nigerian terrorist group Boko Haram have reportedly abducted nearly 100 boys and men during a raid on a village in the country's northeast, witnesses reported.

An image of Boko Haram gunmen taken from a video filmed by the terrorist group.

An image of Boko Haram gunmen taken from a video filmed by the terrorist group.

Highlights

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
8/18/2014 (2 years ago)

Published in Africa

Keywords: Africa, Nigeria, International


LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Villagers who escaped the August 17 raid on Doron Baga said that the gunmen burned several houses and that 97 people are unaccounted for. The witnesses also said that six men were killed.

No child should have to kill, pray for the safety of these poor boys.

"They left no men or boys in the place; only young children, girls and women," said Halima Adamu, one of the villagers. "They were shouting 'Allah Akbar' (God is greatest), shooting sporadically. There was confusion everywhere. They started parking our men and boys into their vehicles, threatening to shoot whoever disobey them. Everybody was scared."

Nigerian military spokesman Gen. Chris Olukolade posted on Twitter that he was unable to confirm the abductions.

In November of 2013, Human Rights Watch accused Boko Haram, an Islamist anti-western and anti-government group, of using children-some as young as 12-as fighters.

The latest incident comes four months after the group, which has been fighting for the creation of a Sharia Islamic state in religiously mixed Nigeria since 2009, abducted more than 200 schoolgirls from the village of Chibok and threatened to sell them into slavery. Many of the girls managed to escape the terrorists, but most still remain missing since the April kidnappings.

Boko Haram is seen as the number one security threat to Africa's top economy and oil producer and has dramatically increased their attacks on civilians in the past year, which has resulted in rapidly waning support for the movement. So far in 2014, more than 4,000 Nigerians-the majority of whom are civilians-have been killed by Boko Haram, Amnesty International reports.

---


'Help give every student and teacher Free resources for a world-class moral Catholic education'


Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK

Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for JUNE 2017
National Leaders.
That national leaders may firmly commit themselves to ending the arms trade, which victimizes so many innocent people.


Comments


More Africa

'Half-Man-Half-Beast sent by the Devil' sparks fear in South African village (WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES)

Image of A deformed stillborn lamb has caused a surge of fear in a South African village.

A sheep in South Africa has given birth to what the village elders are calling a "half-human-half-beast sent by the devil." LOS ANGELES, CA ... continue reading


Murdered Priests: Clergy need protection in wake of horrifying circumstances Watch

Image of Bishop Balla's body determined the death was not a suicide.

After determining that one of their confreres was murdered two weeks ago, the bishops of Cameroon have called on the national government to ... continue reading


How to get Pope Francis to visit South Sudan: Bishops offer encouraging advice Watch

Image of Photo series shows a real-life situation in South Sudan. [photo by: Dream World - South Sudan]

The news that Pope Francis will not be able to visit South Sudan this year prompted the nation's bishops to voice reassurances that a ... continue reading


Suicide or Murder? Missing Bishop's body found dead in river Watch

Image of Bishop Jean-Marie Benoit Balla's vehicle was found abandoned with a note reading, 'I am in the water.'

Cameroon Bishop Jean-Marie Benoit Balla was found dead on June 1st. Bishop Balla was reported missing on May 30th after a note was ... continue reading


26 Coptic Christians BRUTALLY MURDERED on bus to St. Samuel Monastery - many of them CHILDREN Watch

Image of The death toll of those killed during this attack is expected to rise.

Twenty-six Coptic Christians have been brutally murdered while on their way to the St. Samuel Monastery in Egypt. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic ... continue reading


Never Miss any Updates!

Stay up to date with the latest news, information, and special offers.

Catholic Online Logo

Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.