Nigerian military swears to retake town after massacre by Muslims
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
7/22/2014 (2 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
The Nigerian terrorist organization Boko Haram has continued its reign of terror, leaving dozens dead in the northeast Nigerian town of Damboa during a July 17 raid, Nigeria's National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) reports.
The anti-education Muslim group, Boko Haram, attacked a town in northeast Nigeria, displacing 15,000 and killing more than 60 people.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - The days-long raid displaced 15,000 residents, as scores of fighters armed with rocket-propelled grenades, explosives and guns.
By the time the raid ended on Sunday, 66 residents had been killed, NEMA spokesman Abdulkadir Ibrahim said.
"We lost 46 people on Thursday through Friday in Damboa and the gunmen pursued people who fled to nearby Fori and Kwairi villages where they killed 20 more," said a spokesman for the local Damboa authority, Sheriff Muhammad.
After the raid, the Islamic group hoisted their trademark black flag over the ruins of the town, signifying that they had taken control of the town.
"Boko Haram have taken over Damboa where they erected their flags after the attack that forced all residents to flee," Mohammed continued.
Though the town still remains in the hands of Boko Haram, the Nigerian military has tried to assure residents that it will retake the town.
"We are not conceding any portion of this country to any terrorist group," said Major General Christ Olukolade, a Defense Ministry spokesman. "We are going to reverse every form of insecurity in that area very soon."
Previously, Boko Haram had launched a July 4 offensive action against Damboa's military base and police station which killed six soldiers and five policeman, Nigeria's defense ministry reported. The attack did leave 50 militants dead, which has led some-including resident Ahmed Buba-to believe that the group returned to exact revenge.
"We were defenseless because all the security personnel, including soldiers and policemen, have withdrawn," Buba said.
Boko Haram first roused international anger when it abducted 276 schoolgirls fron a Nigerian boarding school in the middle of April.
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for JUNE 2017
National Leaders. That national leaders may firmly commit themselves to ending the arms trade, which victimizes so many innocent people.
'Half-Man-Half-Beast sent by the Devil' sparks fear in South African village (WARNING: GRAPHIC IMAGES)
A sheep in South Africa has given birth to what the village elders are calling a "half-human-half-beast sent by the devil." LOS ANGELES, CA ... continue reading
After determining that one of their confreres was murdered two weeks ago, the bishops of Cameroon have called on the national government to ... continue reading
The news that Pope Francis will not be able to visit South Sudan this year prompted the nation's bishops to voice reassurances that a ... continue reading
Cameroon Bishop Jean-Marie Benoit Balla was found dead on June 1st. Bishop Balla was reported missing on May 30th after a note was ... continue reading
Twenty-six Coptic Christians have been brutally murdered while on their way to the St. Samuel Monastery in Egypt. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic ... continue reading
by Catholic Online
- How decaf coffee destroyed the ozone layer, you monsters
- Cyber-attack hitting USA right now, experts fear could turn deadly in ...
- Terrorists using Christians as sex slaves and human shields in the ...
- New social media algorithm can predict the future
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, June 28th, 2017 HD Video
- St. Irenaeus: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, June 28, 2017
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, June 28, 2017
- Central bankers warn of looming global recession HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, June 27th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, June 26th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, June 25th, 2017 HD