Skip to content
Catholic Online Logo

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

5/26/2014 (2 years ago)

Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)

Five are reported dead in this West African nation's first such outbreak

Five people have been confirmed dead in Sierra Leone's first reported Ebola outbreak. There had been hopes that the deadly virus - which causes the sufferer's internal organs to bleed and virtually melt, had been controlled in West Africa. This latest report confirms medical official's worst fears that the latest outbreak is far from over.

Several suspected cases of Ebola were recorded in Sierra Leone early on in the West African outbreak, but they later tested negative for the disease.

Several suspected cases of Ebola were recorded in Sierra Leone early on in the West African outbreak, but they later tested negative for the disease.

Highlights

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)

5/26/2014 (2 years ago)

Published in Africa

Keywords: Sierra Leone, Ebola, outbreak, WHO


LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Ebola, a hemorrhagic fever with a fatality rate of up to 90 percent, is believed to have killed some 185 people in the neighboring nations of Guinea and Liberia since March. The outbreaks in these two nations marked the first deadly appearance of the disease in West Africa.
 
The World Health Organization, or WHO says this signals a new expansion of the disease which regional officials had believed had been brought under control.

Starvation never takes a vacation --

Several suspected cases of Ebola were recorded in Sierra Leone early on in the West African outbreak, but they later tested negative for the disease.

The WHO declared on its Web site that the outbreak in Sierra Leone was located in an area along the country's border with Guinea's Guéckédou prefecture, where some of the earliest cases of the disease were recorded.

"Preliminary information received from the field indicates that one laboratory-confirmed case and five community deaths have been reported from Koindu chiefdom," it said.

Six experts have been sent to the area, along with essential supplies.

The West African outbreak spread from a remote corner of Guinea to the capital, Conakry, and into Liberia, wreaked havoc across a region struggling with weak healthcare systems and porous borders.

A total of 258 clinical cases have been recorded in Guinea since the outbreak was first identified as Ebola, including 174 deaths; 95 confirmed, 57 probable and 57 suspected.

No new cases of Ebola have been detected since late April in Conakry, where an outbreak could pose the biggest threat of an epidemic due to the city's role as an international travel hub.

Unfortunately, Guinean health officials announced two new confirmed cases on Friday in an area previously untouched by the virus. Ebola is thought to have killed 11 people in Liberia.

Ebola is endemic to Democratic Republic of Congo, Gabon, Uganda and South Sudan. Scientists initially believed that Central Africa's Zaire strain of the disease was responsible for the infections in Guinea and Liberia.

---


Pope Francis: end world hunger through 'Prayer and Action'


Copyright 2016 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK

Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for NOVEMBER 2016
Universal:
Countries Receiving Refugees: That the countries which take in a great number of displaced persons and refugees may find support for their efforts which show solidarity.
Evangelization: Collaboration of Priests and Laity: That within parishes, priests and lay people may collaborate in service to the community without giving in to the temptation of discouragement.



Comments


More Africa

Nuns no longer safe? Robbery turned homicide in Democratic Republic of Congo Watch

Image of A nun (not pictured) was killed in the Republic of Congo.

By (CNA/EWTN News)

A nun in the Democratic Republic of Congo was murdered earlier this week by unknown suspects in an apparent robbery, the Pontifical Institute for Foreign Missions has reported. Rome, Italy (CNA/EWTN News) - Sister Marie Claire Agano, a religious of the Franciscan ... continue reading


Calling Indiana Jones! Mysterious 7,000 year old city discovered - but what secrets does it hold? Watch

Image of A lost city has been discovered next to Luxor.

By Marshall Connolly (CALIFORNIA NETWORK)

Archaeologists have discovered a 7,000 year old city in Egypt, dating back to the earliest days of the Egyptian civilization. The settlement is a remarkable discovery that will shed light on a period about which little is known. LOS ANGELES, CA (California Network) - ... continue reading


AMERICAN SCAM? Uganda kicks Gates and Zuckerberg from schools Watch

Image of Students attend a Bridge Academy in Africa. Uganda has ordered the closure of these schools.

By Marshall Connolly (CALIFORNIA NETWORK)

Some sixty-three private schools in Uganda are about to be closed after officials found they are not properly educating students. The schools in question belong to the Bridges Academy, a private, for-profit school system funded in part by Bill Gates and Mark ... continue reading


Church officials in Rwanda apologize for genocide Watch

Image of Some of the victims of the genocide. Up to a million people were killed in a frenzy of violence that lasted over three months.

By Catholic News Agency

The Catholic bishops of Rwanda have apologized for Christians' role in the deadly 1994 genocide. "We apologize for all the wrongs the Church committed. We apologize on behalf of all Christians for all forms of wrongs we committed. We regret that church members violated ... continue reading


'We apologize for all the wrongs the Church committed' - Rwanda receives apology from bishops Watch

Image of Rwanda genocide finally receives apology from the Church.

By Kenya Sinclair (CALIFORNIA NETWORK)

When Rwanda's president Juvenal Habyarimana's plane was shot down in 1994, a minority group was targeted for genocide. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Thousands of Tutsis, a minority group in Rwanda, sought refuge in Catholic and Protestant churches.Unbeknownst to ... continue reading


Mystery surrounding Flight 370 solved - but leads to more questions Watch

Image of The search for debris and answers continue (PR IMAGE).

By Kenya Sinclair (CALIFORNIA NETWORK)

On March 8, 2014, Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 vanished from radar with 239 passengers and crew on board. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Since then, over twenty pieces of debris confirmed to belong to Flight 370 have been recovered, but deep-sea sonar searches for ... continue reading


Catholic priest shot dead in hunt for Christians - 'We do not understand why this is happening to us' Watch

Image of Innocent citizens continue to fall to unknown militia groups (AFP).

By Kenya Sinclair (CALIFORNIA NETWORK)

Hundreds were killed in the Democratic Republic of Congo as terrorists tied to ISIS rampaged through the Congo. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Christian Today reported 52-year-old Father Joseph Mulimbi Nguli was on his way home when unknown attackers ambushed ... continue reading


Anglican Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu, Advocate of life; Advocate of death

Image of

By Michael Mayer

A man who points us to all that is best in humanity.South Africa's Anglican Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu is a man of joy, deep empathy for the poor and suffering, fearless in the face of oppressive power. A giant among men, with many meritorious credentials . He is ... continue reading


12 dead in latest Mandera shooting - Christians targeted in attack Watch

Image of Somalia's al-Shebab rebels killed Christians in Kenya.

By Kenya Sinclair (CALIFORNIA NETWORK)

Islamic extremists opened fire in Kenya's northern Mandera County on Tuesday, killing twelve people. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Somalia's al-Shebab rebels claimed responsibility for the shooting, which occurred on the Bishaaro Guest House.Andalus, the ... continue reading


Prayer works! Boko Haram releases 21 of the kidnapped Chibok schoolgirls Watch

Image of Twenty-one Chibok schoolgirls were released from Boko Haram.

By Kenya Sinclair (CALIFORNIA NETWORK)

Over 200 Chibok schoolgirls were kidnapped by Nigerian terror group Boko Haram. Now, two years later, some have been returned. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - With help from negotiations brokered by the Red Cross and Swiss government, Boko Haram has agreed to ... continue reading


All Africa News

Newsletters

Newsletter Sign Up icon

Stay up to date with the latest news, information, and special offers

Subscribe to Catholic OnlineYouTube Channel

Daily Readings

Reading 1, Isaiah 29:17-24
17 Is it not true that in a very short time the Lebanon will become ... Read More

Psalm, Psalms 27:1, 4, 13-14
4 if I have repaid my ally with treachery or spared one who attacked me ... Read More

Gospel, Matthew 9:27-31
27 As Jesus went on his way two blind men followed him shouting, 'Take ... Read More

Saint of the Day

Saint of the Day for December 2nd, 2016 Image

St. Bibiana
December 2: St. Bibiana, Virgin and Martyr (Feast day - ... Read More