Skip to content

MASS KIDNAPPING: Suspected Boko Haram gunmen kidnap eight girls from Nigerian village

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
5/6/2014 (2 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)

More than 200 abducted Nigerian schoolgirls remain missing; Nigeria accepts U.S. offer

Terror never sleeps, in particular in Nigeria, where eight additional girls have been kidnapped in Waraba, a village near the neighboring nation of Cameroon. The caves in the region are a noted stronghold for the dreaded terrorist group, which has targeted and executed both Christians and Muslims in Nigeria. 

'The abduction of eight more girls in Nigeria is an outrage and a worsening nightmare for the girls themselves and for the families of the more than 200 girls who have been stolen from their communities in the last several weeks,' UNICEF said in a statement.

"The abduction of eight more girls in Nigeria is an outrage and a worsening nightmare for the girls themselves and for the families of the more than 200 girls who have been stolen from their communities in the last several weeks," UNICEF said in a statement.

Highlights

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
5/6/2014 (2 years ago)

Published in Africa

Keywords: Nigeria, Boko Haram, abduction, Waraba


LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - In response to the growing crisis, Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan has accepted a U.S. offer to send a team to Africa in order to deal with the previous abduction of more than 200 schoolgirls held by the terrorist group.

Spokeswoman Jen Psaki said the U.S. embassy in Nigeria is "prepared to form a coordination cell" that would include U.S. military personnel and law enforcement officials with expertise in investigations and hostage negotiations.

Find out how you can fill the gaps to end world hunger - by going here!

Boko Haram kidnapped more than 200 schoolgirls last month. Videotapes have been released where the group's leaders threaten to sell the girls, many as young as 12 years of age, into forced marriages. The more recent eight kidnapped girls were abducted from a village near one of the Islamists' strongholds in northeastern Nigeria.

Armed men had opened fire during the raid. "They were many, and all of them carried guns," a villager told reporters. "They came in two vehicles painted in army color. They started shooting in our village."

An unnamed police source said the girls were taken away on trucks, along with looted livestock and food.

"The abduction of eight more girls in Nigeria is an outrage and a worsening nightmare for the girls themselves and for the families of the more than 200 girls who have been stolen from their communities in the last several weeks," UNICEF said in a statement.
 
Boko Haram, who claim they are fighting for an Islamic state in Nigeria, have shocked a country long inured to the violence around the northeast.

"Many people tried to run behind the mountain but when they heard gun shots, they came back," a villager said. "The Boko Haram men were entering houses, ordering people out of their houses."

The main security threat to Africa's leading oil-producing nation, Boko Haram is growing ever bolder and appears better armed than ever. April's mass kidnapping occurred on the day a bomb blast, also claimed by Boko Haram, killed 75 people on the edge of Abuja. It was the first attack on the capital in two years.

The military's inability to find the girls in three weeks, has led to protests in the northeast, Abuja and Lagos, the commercial capital. More are expected on Tuesday in Abuja, just as delegates will be collecting their badges to allow them entry to the hotel where the forum will take place.

---


'Help give every student and teacher Free resources for a world-class moral Catholic education'


Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK

Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for MARCH 2017
Support for Persecuted Christians.
That persecuted Christians may be supported by the prayers and material help of the whole Church.


Comments


More Africa

The worst humanitarian crisis since WWII: Kenya is starving Watch

Image of Emmanuel Ayapar are two of Kenya's 20 million citizens facing

The United Nations reported the famine in Africa has put 20 million people at risk of starvation. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - ... continue reading


Christian pastor discovers amazing treasure in Sierra Leone Watch

Image of Pastor Emmanuel Momoh made an amazing discovery.

African church minister Emmanuel Momoh supplements his meager stipend by mining various minerals in the mines of eastern Sierra Leone. LOS ... continue reading


Is this the statue of the Pharaoh of the Exodus found toppled in a muddy pit under an Egyptian slum? Watch

Image of The statue of Ramses II will be repaired and put on display.

Archaeologists in Cairo have recovered the top half of an ancient colossus, likely built for Pharaoh Ramses II. LOS ANGELES, CA (California ... continue reading


Tragedy strikes four Ethiopian nuns in horror car accident Watch

Image of Four nuns were killed in a car accident (not pictured) on their way to a funeral.

The Church in Ethiopia is mourning the deaths of four religious sisters who died in a car accident that critically injured three other ... continue reading


Suffering South Sudan Watch

Image of 5.5 million people are starving in South Sudan.

People are beginning to starve to death in South Sudan. The United Nations has formally declared that a state of famine exists in this east ... continue reading


Never Miss any Updates!

Stay up to date with the latest news, information, and special offers.

Catholic Online Logo

Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.