Skip to content
Catholic Online Logo

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

10/6/2013 (9 months ago)

Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)

Many were led to believe they were being recruited for Rwandan army; Sent to Congo instead

Like the villains in storybooks of yore, Rwandan boys - and some girls, were lured away from their homes with promises of money, jobs and school. Some were led to believe that they were going into the Rwandan army. They were abducted and sent to fight in the Congo insurgency instead. The United Nations is only now getting to the bottom of this miscarriage of justice from the testimony of refugees.

The ages of the child soldiers ranged from 11 to 17 and most were aged 15, 16 or 17. Some children said they had been recruited by a football coach and a police officer, who were earning $5 per child.

The ages of the child soldiers ranged from 11 to 17 and most were aged 15, 16 or 17. Some children said they had been recruited by a football coach and a police officer, who were earning $5 per child.

Highlights

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)

10/6/2013 (9 months ago)

Published in Africa

Keywords: Rwanda, child soldiers, Congo, United Nations


LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - According to the U.N., a third of child soldiers that escaped from Congolese rebel group M23 came from Rwanda. Some of the M23 child soldiers received training from the Rwandan Defense Force for two weeks before being handed over to the rebel group.

U.N. experts have repeatedly accused Rwanda of backing the 18-month-long M23 insurgency in eastern Congo, a charge the Rwandan government has fiercely rejected. The conflict stretches all the way back to the Tutsi-dominated rebellion and 1994 genocide in Rwanda, where Hutu troops killed 800,000 Tutsis and moderate Hutus.

The U.N. peacekeeping mission in Congo, known as MONUSCO - has since interviewed 117 boys who were recruited by M23 and found 37 of them were from Rwanda.

MONUSCO's chief of child protection Dee Brillenburg Wurth says that there are still a couple of hundred children among the M23 ranks, saying that four of the boys claim they received military training by the Rwandan Defense Force in Rwanda at camps in Bigogwe, Ruhengeri-Nyarubanda and at the former university campus in Mundende before they were handed over to M23.

"(They were given) very, very sophisticated training, very serious training, some of them by Rwandans. They said some of the trainers had Rwandan uniforms on," Brillenburg Wurth said.

"Some of (the children) thought they were being recruited in the Rwandan Defense Force and they were trained in Rwanda and then they found themselves ... in Congo," she said.

The ages of the child soldiers ranged from 11 to 17 and most were aged 15, 16 or 17. Some children said they had been recruited by a football coach and a police officer, who were earning $5 per child.

The United States, which has called on Rwanda to drop its support for the M23 rebels, stepped up its pressure on Kigali last week by moving to block military aid over the recruitment of M23 child soldiers in its territory.

Click here to learn about our Saint Michael the Archangel conference this Nov 1-3!

---


Pope Francis: end world hunger through 'Prayer and Action'


2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM

Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for July 2014
Sports:
That sports may always be occasions of human fraternity and growth.
Lay Missionaries: That the Holy Spirit may support the work of the laity who proclaim the Gospel in the poorest countries.



Comments


More Africa

Obianuju Ekeocha: An African woman's Thank-you Letter to Meriam Ibrahim Watch

Image of Pope Francis giving a blessing to Meriam and her youngest child

By Obianuju Ekeocha

You, my African sister, have become a lightning rod to the radical feminists of our times who repudiate and denigrate every virtue that you epitomize. Within your body, you have borne the marks and scars of a true Christian,a wife, a mother and a martyr, and in ... continue reading


CRISIS IN SIERRA LEONE: Ebola patients quarantined as 57 new deaths reported Watch

Image of Sierra Leone President Ernest Bai Koroma announced a series of emergency measures. The edicts will last 60 to 90 months.

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

In light of the worsening Ebola crisis, the West African nation of Sierra Leone has declared a state of emergency. Troops have been called in to quarantine Ebola victims. Sierra Leone has also joined neighboring Liberia in imposing controls. The death toll in ... continue reading


'Above the control of the national government' - Liberia overwhelmed with Ebola outbreak Watch

Image of Fear and denial is playing a large part in the spread of the deadly virus. Some residents in affected villages have accused health personnel of bringing the disease into the country and have barricaded their towns, or blocked access to Ebola hemorrhagic fever victims.

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

The Ebola outbreak in the West African nation of Liberia has officially reached its tipping point. "Our government has declared this now as a humanitarian crisis that is above the control of the national government," Tolbert Nyenswah, Liberia's assistant ... continue reading


Liberia closes its borders in order to halt spread of Ebola Watch

Image of Liberian President Sirleaf has placed restrictions on public gatherings and ordered hotels, restaurants and other entertainment venues to play a five-minute video on Ebola safety.

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

In response to the rapidly escalating spread of the Ebola virus throughout West Africa, Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf has closed most of his country's borders. What points of entry that remain open will have Ebola testing centers and will implement ... continue reading


A second American has been confirmed to have Ebola in Africa Watch

Image of The Ebola epidemic that has been ravaging Africa since early 2014 has now infected its second America.

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

Officials in the region have confirmed that a second American has tested positive for the Ebola virus, at the same Liberian hospital where an American doctor became infected with the virus previously. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - A vice president of ... continue reading


Newest nation in the world now faces mass starvation Watch

Image of More than a million people have fled their homes since fighting erupted between different factions of South Sudan's ruling party last December.

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

Begun as an effort to establish economic independence from Sudan, South Sudan became the world's youngest nation a few short years ago. Now - with fighting threatening to plunge the nation in to civil war, the United Nations has declared South Sudan's current ... continue reading


ANOTHER PLANE - VANISHES! Air Algerie flight with 116 people onboard drops off radar Watch

Image of The plane in question, the MD-83 is part of the McDonnell Douglas MD-80 family of twin-engine, single-aisle jets. The plane belongs to a private Spanish company, Swiftair, but it appears to have been operated by Air Algerie.

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

In yet another horrific airline disaster in a year full of them, an Air Algerie flight with 116 people on board has simply - dropped off the radar. The flight operator says that the plane has apparently crashed in somewhere in the West African nation of Mali. ... continue reading


LOOKING GRIM: Sierra Leone's chief Ebola doctor contracts the virus Watch

Image of The WHO says that of the 632 deadly Ebola cases, 206 people had died in Sierra Leone.

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

Sheik Umar Khan, hailed as a "national hero" in Sierra Leone by the health ministry, had been leading the fight to control the recent Ebola outbreak that has killed 206 people in the West African country. Tragically, the 39-year-old medic has now contracted the ... continue reading


GRIEF TAKES TOLL: At least 11 parents of abducted Nigerian schoolgirls have died Watch

Image of Martha Mark, the mother of kidnapped school girl Monica Mark cries as she displays her photo, in the family house, in Chibok, Nigeria.

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

Grief and worry takes its toll on human health. Ever since more than 200 Nigerian schoolgirls were abducted by the Boko Haram terror group three months ago, four of their parents have died from heart failure; seven of the girls' fathers were killed in an attack ... continue reading


Nigerian military swears to retake town after massacre by Muslims Watch

Image of The anti-education Muslim group, Boko Haram, attacked a town in northeast Nigeria, displacing 15,000 and killing more than 60 people.

By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)

The Nigerian terrorist organization Boko Haram has continued its reign of terror, leaving dozens dead in the northeast Nigerian town of Damboa during a July 17 raid, Nigeria's National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) reports. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) ... continue reading


All Africa News

Newsletters

Newsletter Sign Up icon

Stay up to date with the latest news, information, and special offers

Daily Readings

Reading 1, Jeremiah 26:1-9
1 At the beginning of the reign of Jehoiakim son of ... Read More

Psalm, Psalms 69:6, 8-10, 14
6 Those who hope in you must not be made fools of, ... Read More

Gospel, Matthew 13:54-58
54 and, coming to his home town, he taught the people ... Read More

Saint of the Day

Saint of the Day for August 1st, 2014 Image

St. Alphonsus Marie Liguori
August 1: Bishop, Doctor of the Church, and the founder of the ... Read More

Inform, Inspire & Ignite Logo

Find Catholic Online on Facebook and get updates right in your live feed.

Become a fan of Catholic Online on Facebook


Follow Catholic Online on Twitter and get News and Product updates.

Follow us on Twitter