Refreshing, tasty - Green tea is also good for you!
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
4/9/2014 (3 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
Some good dietary news: It's refreshing tastes good and is GOOD for you. Heralded as the healthiest hot drink of choice, new research has found that green tea can also be good for your mind.
Experts say you should try to choose a higher quality brand of green tea, because some of the lower quality brands can contain excessive levels of fluoride.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Scientists now claim green tea enhances several cognitive functions, in particular our working memory. These findings imply that green tea could be used to treat dementia and other psychiatric disorders.
Researchers at the University of Basel, found that green tea extract increases the brain's effective connectivity. Scientists there saw significant improvements in working memory tasks after people had drank green tea.
Practical applications for green tea could possibly be used to help treat memory loss caused by psychiatric disorders, or as part of recovery.
Test subjects were given a drink with green tea extract before being given working memory tasks to solve.
By monitoring brain activity through MRI scans, scientists could see an increased connectivity between the parietal and the frontal cortex of the brain.
"Our findings suggest that green tea might increase the short-term synaptic plasticity of the brain," co-author Professor Borgwardt said.
Green tea has been called the healthiest beverage on the planet, loaded with antioxidants and nutrients that have powerful effects on the body.
Many of the bioactive compounds in the tea leaves do make it into the final drink, which contains large amounts of important nutrients. The tea is loaded with polyphenols like flavonoids and catechins, which function as powerful antioxidants.
These substances can reduce the formation of free radicals in the body, protecting cells and molecules from damage. These free radicals are known to play a role in aging and all sorts of diseases.
Experts say you should try to choose a higher quality brand of green tea, because some of the lower quality brands can contain excessive levels of fluoride. Even if you choose a lower quality brand, the benefits still far outweigh any risk.
Bottom Line: Green tea is loaded with bioactive compounds that can have various beneficial effects on health.
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for AUGUST 2017
Artists. That artists of our time, through their ingenuity, may help everyone discover the beauty of creation.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Saturday, August 19, 2017
- New Jersey Mayor dismantles shrine to Our Lady of Guadalupe
- St. John Eudes: Saint of the Day for Saturday, August 19, 2017
- Mother shares tragic photo of dying daughter as she pulled the plug ...
- Pope Francis calls for prayers following terror attacks in Spain, Finland
- Pope Francis asks for prayers following terror attacks in Spain HD Video
- Mother shares heartbreaking photo of her dying daughter as she pulls ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, August 21st, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, August 20th, 2017 HD
- Charlie Gard's mother opens up about the beautiful life of terminally ill Charlie HD