SHOCKING REVELATION: French fries are not from France
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
7/15/2013 (3 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
Don't believe their common names: French fries aren't necessarily from France, and Worcestershire sauce isn't necessarily from Worcestershire. Many people were unaware where some of the most common foods originated, according to a new study.
French fries are not from France. Get over it.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - The majority of poll respondents, 70 percent of 1,003 people said they were confident that they had a good knowledge of foreign foods. Sixty-four percent and 90 percent, respectively, incorrectly guessed where French fries and pasta were first created.
For example, over three-quarters of those surveyed incorrectly believed that chili con carne was first eaten in Mexico, not the U.S., while only 10 percent knew the correct origins of cheesecake . Ancient Greece.
More than 90 percent were unaware that Worcestershire sauce was created in Bengal and not the west midlands of England. Only 11 percent of people know the correct birthplace of French fries - which nonetheless has a large number of French-speaking people: Belgium.
The survey also found that less than five percent are aware that pasta actually originates from China.
Only a third of respondents thought that the British-made Swiss roll was from Switzerland.
Emerging cuisines that are enjoying popularity appear to be Thai, Greek and Caribbean foods.
"The results of this survey show that we're certainly not as knowledgeable as we think we are when it comes to foods from other cultures," Afruj Miah, senior national account manager at GLORIOUS! Foods, which carried out the survey, said.
Overall, the Top 10 foods that duped respondents in the survey:
10. Fajita, 88.9 percent incorrect: Texas, USA
9. French Fries, 89.3 percent incorrect: Belgium
8. Cheesecake, 89.9 percent incorrect: Ancient Greece
7. Noodle Chop Suey, 90 percent incorrect: USA
6. Garlic Bread, 92.6 percent incorrect: Asia and USA
5. Chili Con Carne, 92.9 percent incorrect: USA
4. Vindaloo, 93.7 percent incorrect: Portugal
3. Lasagna, 94.5 percent incorrect: Greece
2. Pasta, 95.1 percent incorrect: China
1. Worcestershire Sauce, 96.3 percent incorrect: Bengal
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for MAY 2017
Christians in Africa. That Christians in Africa, in imitation of the Merciful Jesus, may give prophetic witness to reconciliation, justice, and peace.
by Catholic Online
- Pope Francis and Donald Trump have monumental first meeting HD Video
- Daily Reading for Friday, May 26th, 2017 HD Video
- St. David I of Scotland: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, May 24, 2017
- Manchester Bishop speaks out on horrific terrorist attack during ...
- 'Miracle Workers': Owen Wilson and Daniel Radcliffe star as God and ...
- Fr. Frank Pavone: The Pro-Life Meaning of the Ascension
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, May 24, 2017
- Daily Reading for Thursday, May 25th, 2017 HD
- Bomb explodes during Ariana Grande concert full of young fans HD
- St. John Baptist de Rossi HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, May 24th, 2017 HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.