SHOCKING REVELATION: French fries are not from France
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
7/15/2013 (4 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
Don't believe their common names: French fries aren't necessarily from France, and Worcestershire sauce isn't necessarily from Worcestershire. Many people were unaware where some of the most common foods originated, according to a new study.
French fries are not from France. Get over it.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - The majority of poll respondents, 70 percent of 1,003 people said they were confident that they had a good knowledge of foreign foods. Sixty-four percent and 90 percent, respectively, incorrectly guessed where French fries and pasta were first created.
For example, over three-quarters of those surveyed incorrectly believed that chili con carne was first eaten in Mexico, not the U.S., while only 10 percent knew the correct origins of cheesecake . Ancient Greece.
More than 90 percent were unaware that Worcestershire sauce was created in Bengal and not the west midlands of England. Only 11 percent of people know the correct birthplace of French fries - which nonetheless has a large number of French-speaking people: Belgium.
The survey also found that less than five percent are aware that pasta actually originates from China.
Only a third of respondents thought that the British-made Swiss roll was from Switzerland.
Emerging cuisines that are enjoying popularity appear to be Thai, Greek and Caribbean foods.
"The results of this survey show that we're certainly not as knowledgeable as we think we are when it comes to foods from other cultures," Afruj Miah, senior national account manager at GLORIOUS! Foods, which carried out the survey, said.
Overall, the Top 10 foods that duped respondents in the survey:
10. Fajita, 88.9 percent incorrect: Texas, USA
9. French Fries, 89.3 percent incorrect: Belgium
8. Cheesecake, 89.9 percent incorrect: Ancient Greece
7. Noodle Chop Suey, 90 percent incorrect: USA
6. Garlic Bread, 92.6 percent incorrect: Asia and USA
5. Chili Con Carne, 92.9 percent incorrect: USA
4. Vindaloo, 93.7 percent incorrect: Portugal
3. Lasagna, 94.5 percent incorrect: Greece
2. Pasta, 95.1 percent incorrect: China
1. Worcestershire Sauce, 96.3 percent incorrect: Bengal
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for OCTOBER 2017
Workers and the Unemployed. That all workers may receive respect and protection of their rights, and that the unemployed may receive the opportunity to contribute to the common good.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Monday, October 23, 2017
- EVIL EXPORT: American-inspired assisted suicide legislation advances ...
- Day 1 - Novena to the Saints in Heaven for the saints on earth HD Video
- St. John of Capistrano: Saint of the Day for Monday, October 23, 2017
- Day 2 - Novena to the Saints in Heaven for the saints on earth HD Video
- President Trump to release Kennedy assassination files - will the ...
- Pope Francis speaks about putting God first and reality
- Evil money - George Soros pays to start a revolution in America HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, October 24th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, October 25th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, October 23rd, 2017 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way