SHOCKING REVELATION: French fries are not from France
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
7/15/2013 (4 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
Don't believe their common names: French fries aren't necessarily from France, and Worcestershire sauce isn't necessarily from Worcestershire. Many people were unaware where some of the most common foods originated, according to a new study.
French fries are not from France. Get over it.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - The majority of poll respondents, 70 percent of 1,003 people said they were confident that they had a good knowledge of foreign foods. Sixty-four percent and 90 percent, respectively, incorrectly guessed where French fries and pasta were first created.
For example, over three-quarters of those surveyed incorrectly believed that chili con carne was first eaten in Mexico, not the U.S., while only 10 percent knew the correct origins of cheesecake . Ancient Greece.
More than 90 percent were unaware that Worcestershire sauce was created in Bengal and not the west midlands of England. Only 11 percent of people know the correct birthplace of French fries - which nonetheless has a large number of French-speaking people: Belgium.
The survey also found that less than five percent are aware that pasta actually originates from China.
Only a third of respondents thought that the British-made Swiss roll was from Switzerland.
Emerging cuisines that are enjoying popularity appear to be Thai, Greek and Caribbean foods.
"The results of this survey show that we're certainly not as knowledgeable as we think we are when it comes to foods from other cultures," Afruj Miah, senior national account manager at GLORIOUS! Foods, which carried out the survey, said.
Overall, the Top 10 foods that duped respondents in the survey:
10. Fajita, 88.9 percent incorrect: Texas, USA
9. French Fries, 89.3 percent incorrect: Belgium
8. Cheesecake, 89.9 percent incorrect: Ancient Greece
7. Noodle Chop Suey, 90 percent incorrect: USA
6. Garlic Bread, 92.6 percent incorrect: Asia and USA
5. Chili Con Carne, 92.9 percent incorrect: USA
4. Vindaloo, 93.7 percent incorrect: Portugal
3. Lasagna, 94.5 percent incorrect: Greece
2. Pasta, 95.1 percent incorrect: China
1. Worcestershire Sauce, 96.3 percent incorrect: Bengal
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for AUGUST 2017
Artists. That artists of our time, through their ingenuity, may help everyone discover the beauty of creation.
by Catholic Online
- 'IN OUR HEARTS WE BEAR THE PAIN' Pope Francis opens prayers for all ...
- Daily Readings for Monday, August 21, 2017
- St. Pius X: Saint of the Day for Monday, August 21, 2017
- Mother shares tragic photo of dying daughter as she pulled the plug ...
- Why have ONE MILLION South Sudanese people entered Uganda?
- Pope Francis asks for prayers following terror attacks in Spain HD Video
- Pro-Life win? Arkansas makes big moves against abortion-machine ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, August 21st, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, August 20th, 2017 HD
- Charlie Gard's mother opens up about the beautiful life of terminally ill Charlie HD