India opens its first Jesuit University
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
7/9/2014 (3 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
India's first Jesuit university opened on July 7 in Bhubaneswar, a city in eastern India.
A picture of the new university being built in India, which will be that nations first Jesuit University.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Odisha Chief Minister Naveen Patnaik spoke on the occasion, saying that the Xavier University would be a center of good ethical values and academic excellence.
He thanked the Odisha Jesuit Society for taking the initiative to establish it, as they are known for imparting quality education around the world.
The University is part of the Xavier University Odisha Bill, passed in April of 2013 by the Odisha Legislative Assembly, and then endorsed by the Odisha Governor in May of that year. The Act provides for the establishment and incorporation of a private university.
Jesuit Father Paul Fernandes SJ, Vice Chancellor said that "[Xavier University] is God's Gift to us. WE receive it with gratitude in our hearts. We commit ourselves to its establishment and growth. We bless it today."
Xavier University is the first digital university in India, and the first Catholic University in the Indian state of Odisha, and the fourth Catholic University in India. It is primarily designed for research and innovation.
"We hope this University will continue to be inspired by the Jesuit ideals, namely to be visionary, innovative, research-driven and open to all (global). We hope this university will make contribution not only to management but to all fields of human striving which contribute to the building up of a new society by transforming the face of the earth. As we more together into this University of the 21st century, we create a history that, we hope, will be fulfilled in our times. It is a matter of joy for all of us that we are the first ones, the first fruits of the University. May God bless this university and continue to bless its growth and guard and protect, and provide for all its need in the days to come," said Father Fernandes.
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for AUGUST 2017
Artists. That artists of our time, through their ingenuity, may help everyone discover the beauty of creation.
by Catholic Online
- St. Pius X: Saint of the Day for Monday, August 21, 2017
- Mother shares tragic photo of dying daughter as she pulled the plug ...
- 'IN OUR HEARTS WE BEAR THE PAIN' Pope Francis opens prayers for all ...
- Pro-Life win? Arkansas makes big moves against abortion-machine ...
- Pope Francis asks for prayers following terror attacks in Spain HD Video
- Over 20 million people facing starvation - and we should care!
- Daily Readings for Monday, August 21, 2017
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, August 21st, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, August 20th, 2017 HD
- Charlie Gard's mother opens up about the beautiful life of terminally ill Charlie HD