Pope Francis: 'Not every part of Christian life is a party.'
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
5/30/2014 (3 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
Pope Francis took some time during his May 30 early morning mass from his residence at Domus Sanctae Marthae, to remind Christians, that even though Jesus promises the faithful great joy, life will not be all sunshine and roses.
Pope Francis discussed two types of sadness in his early morning mass.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - "We have to tell the truth: not every part of Christian life is a party. Not all of it!"
The Pope reminded the gathered that the joy provided by Jesus is the promise of a light at the end of the tunnel, and receiving the strength and hope to get through difficult times, including illness, family troubles, financial hardships
The Pope said that Christians will face "many problems, we have many. But Jesus tells us, 'Do not be afraid!'"
These problems may lead to grief, one which leads to despair, and another that is at peace with the joy of hope that Jesus provides. When people try to "buy joy, worldly happiness," they encounter "the sadness that happens to all of us," he said. "In the end, there is an emptiness in us, a sadness."
"This is the sadness of bad happiness," he said.
Pope Francis read from the Gospel of St. John (16:20-24) when Jesus told his disciples that the "will weep and mourn, while the world rejoices; you will grieve, but your grief will become joy."
It is through Christ alone that we can find this joy, he said. The joys that Christ provides can never be taken away, and can allow Christians to endure all of life's tragedies with a peaceful heart.
"If you are at peace, you have the seed of this joy that will come," he said. "Think about what comes after with the Lord; afterwards comes joy, after the darkness comes the sun."
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for JULY 2017
Lapsed Christians. That our brothers and sisters who have strayed from the faith, through our prayer and witness to the Gospel, may rediscover the merciful closeness of the Lord and the beauty of the Christian life.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Reading for Saturday, July 29th, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Reading for Friday, July 28th, 2017 HD Video
- A new coalition for Christian orthodoxy
- St. Pantaleon: Saint of the Day for Thursday, July 27, 2017
- Tough times for many family farmers and farmworkers
- What happens when you die? Scientists are putting the puzzle together
- Daily Readings for Thursday, July 27, 2017
- Archaeologists discover Tabernacle that held the Ark HD
- Shut off? What happened to the Vatican water supply! HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, July 27th, 2017 HD
- Pope Francis is set for something big, but what is it? HD