Pope Francis encourages peace through education with digital olive tree
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
3/21/2014 (2 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
On March 19, Pope Francis planted a virtual Olive tree as part of an initiative to promote peace throughout the world.
Pope Francis has long been a vocal supporter of utilizing education and sports to encourage world peace, this symbolic gesture is just another part of his continuing efforts.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - This event also coincides with the one-year anniversary of the Mass which marked the beginning of his Pontification, and is part of a greater strategy by Francis to promote peace through sports and education, particularly in conjunction with the organization Schola Occurentes.
In 2000, when Francis was just the Archbishop of Buenos Aires, Francis planted an olive tree in the capital of Argentina. That same tree was given to the captains the soccer teams of Italy and Argentina in August of 2013 in a meeting with the Francis, who then sponsored the creation of the Schola Occurentes.
Scholas Occurrentes is a network of schools which is primarily dedicated to creating, through education, an inclusive society where all individuals have the resources they need to live and promoting the cooperation between students and civic and political good.
One of Scholas Occurentes programs is to encourage children around the world to plant a virtual olive tree, which will form a forest connecting the world together through education and peace.
Over three days the meeting has taken place with educators from throughout the world and members of the network. The meeting ended on March 19 with Pope Francis presiding.
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for FEBRUARY 2017
Comfort for the Afflicted. That all those who are afflicted, especially the poor, refugees, and marginalized, may find welcome and comfort in our communities.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Thursday, February 23, 2017
- New pilgrimage route recreates Jesus' footsteps HD Video
- 'This is him telling me he is scared' - Heartbreaking image of ...
- Scientists predict Biblical flood for California HD Video
- St. Polycarp: Saint of the Day for Thursday, February 23, 2017
- Wave of anti-Semitic threats end in vandalization horror - But ...
- It is media, not Trump behind illusion of mass deportations
- Sts. Perpetua and Felicity HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, February 23rd, 2017 HD
- California's floods predicted by scientists, but how? HD
- Pope Francis tells how to become a saint HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.