Pope Francis encourages peace through education with digital olive tree
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
3/21/2014 (3 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
On March 19, Pope Francis planted a virtual Olive tree as part of an initiative to promote peace throughout the world.
Pope Francis has long been a vocal supporter of utilizing education and sports to encourage world peace, this symbolic gesture is just another part of his continuing efforts.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - This event also coincides with the one-year anniversary of the Mass which marked the beginning of his Pontification, and is part of a greater strategy by Francis to promote peace through sports and education, particularly in conjunction with the organization Schola Occurentes.
In 2000, when Francis was just the Archbishop of Buenos Aires, Francis planted an olive tree in the capital of Argentina. That same tree was given to the captains the soccer teams of Italy and Argentina in August of 2013 in a meeting with the Francis, who then sponsored the creation of the Schola Occurentes.
Scholas Occurrentes is a network of schools which is primarily dedicated to creating, through education, an inclusive society where all individuals have the resources they need to live and promoting the cooperation between students and civic and political good.
One of Scholas Occurentes programs is to encourage children around the world to plant a virtual olive tree, which will form a forest connecting the world together through education and peace.
Over three days the meeting has taken place with educators from throughout the world and members of the network. The meeting ended on March 19 with Pope Francis presiding.
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for OCTOBER 2017
Workers and the Unemployed. That all workers may receive respect and protection of their rights, and that the unemployed may receive the opportunity to contribute to the common good.
by Catholic Online
- Daily Reading for Thursday, December 14th, 2017 HD Video
- How does the Vatican fight money laundering?
- Daily Readings for Wednesday, December 13, 2017
- Here's when you'll see the first self-driving trucks on the road
- St. Lucy: Saint of the Day for Wednesday, December 13, 2017
- Pope Francis wants to change the Lord's Prayer, but what do the new ...
- Is Facebook ripping apart human civilization? HD Video
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, December 13th, 2017 HD
- Attempted terror attack fails in Manhattan as pipe bomb explodes early HD
- Here's how Pope Francis wants to change the Lords Prayer HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, December 12th, 2017 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way