Pope Francis encourages peace through education with digital olive tree
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
3/21/2014 (3 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
On March 19, Pope Francis planted a virtual Olive tree as part of an initiative to promote peace throughout the world.
Pope Francis has long been a vocal supporter of utilizing education and sports to encourage world peace, this symbolic gesture is just another part of his continuing efforts.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - This event also coincides with the one-year anniversary of the Mass which marked the beginning of his Pontification, and is part of a greater strategy by Francis to promote peace through sports and education, particularly in conjunction with the organization Schola Occurentes.
In 2000, when Francis was just the Archbishop of Buenos Aires, Francis planted an olive tree in the capital of Argentina. That same tree was given to the captains the soccer teams of Italy and Argentina in August of 2013 in a meeting with the Francis, who then sponsored the creation of the Schola Occurentes.
Scholas Occurrentes is a network of schools which is primarily dedicated to creating, through education, an inclusive society where all individuals have the resources they need to live and promoting the cooperation between students and civic and political good.
One of Scholas Occurentes programs is to encourage children around the world to plant a virtual olive tree, which will form a forest connecting the world together through education and peace.
Over three days the meeting has taken place with educators from throughout the world and members of the network. The meeting ended on March 19 with Pope Francis presiding.
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for MARCH 2017
Support for Persecuted Christians. That persecuted Christians may be supported by the prayers and material help of the whole Church.
by Catholic Online
- How dangerous are the effects of pornography? Science weighs in
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, March 28th, 2017 HD Video
- Daily Reading for Sunday, March 26th, 2017 HD Video
- Epic! Astronomers catch a radical black hole surfing a gravitational ...
- Paul Ryan you're FIRED! Speaker Ryan's failure to repeal Obamacare ...
- St. Rupert: Saint of the Day for Monday, March 27, 2017
- Daily Readings for Monday, March 27, 2017
- Daily Reading for Monday, March 27th, 2017 HD
- Adorable girl captured stealing Pope Francis' hat in hilarious footage HD
- Cause of cancer detected from unexpected and unpreventable element HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, March 25th, 2017 HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.