Vatican Library to digitize, make public 82,000 manuscripts
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
3/21/2014 (3 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
The Vatican Library is moving forward with plans to digitize 41 million pages of content to make it available to the public for the first time ever. The project will take several years and will result in the publication of some 82,000 manuscripts, some dating to the 5th century AD.
The works in the Vatican Library will soon be made widely available in digital form.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - The Vatican Apostolic Library is one of the world's most legendary, yet most restricted libraries. It is accessible to scholars, but not the public because its collection of over 82,000 manuscripts contain rare and unique works that are literally priceless. They are also ancient, some manuscripts are over 1,600 years old.
The Vatican Apostolic Library was founded in 1451 and has served for centuries as a center for religious scholarship. Yet, demand for access to the works inside has been great as scholars - and the public desire to see for themselves the exquisite works of art that form the library.
An illustration for a poem by the Roman poet Virgil shows a young woman waiting for a sailor.
Those wishes will soon be granted. The Vatican has launched a 4-year project that will see these manuscripts digitized by a Japanese tech firm and published online. This will give the public access to manuscripts that before have only men mentioned by the few scholars that have studied them.
An illustration for Dante's Divine Comedy is among the most prized works in the library.
Many others simply haven't been seen in centuries.
The Vatican Apostolic Library is considered one of the finest libraries in the world, possibly rivaling the Great Library at Alexandria in terms of cultural significance.
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for MAY 2017
Christians in Africa. That Christians in Africa, in imitation of the Merciful Jesus, may give prophetic witness to reconciliation, justice, and peace.
by Catholic Online
- Pope Francis and Donald Trump have monumental first meeting HD Video
- First Daughter, Ivanka Trump holds groundbreaking meeting with human ...
- NINE Christians shot dead by sick ISIS militants as they take ...
- St. Mary Magdalene de Pazzi: Saint of the Day for Thursday, May 25, 2017
- Daily Readings for Thursday, May 25, 2017
- Daily Reading for Friday, May 26th, 2017 HD Video
- JESUS IS ALWAYS BY OUR SIDE: Pope Francis reminds all that even in ...
- Daily Reading for Thursday, May 25th, 2017 HD
- Bomb explodes during Ariana Grande concert full of young fans HD
- St. John Baptist de Rossi HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, May 24th, 2017 HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.