Even if the world acts now, climate change will persist for centuries, official says
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
11/7/2013 (3 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
The World Meteorological Organization Secretary-General Michel Jarraud says that the world has made its bed - and now must lay in it. Carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases reached their absolute peak last year, and even if the world were to stop using CO2 emissions today, mankind will have to endure the changes wrought by climate change for centuries.
The World Meteorological Organization Secretary-General Michel Jarraud says that the world has made its bed - and now must lay in it.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - The organization reports that this accelerating trend will have devastating consequences on the world's weather, unless developed nations do more to to rein in emissions.
The warming effect on the Earth's climate has risen by nearly one-third since 1990, the U.N. Agency says. This is mainly due to atmospheric levels of carbon dioxide and other heat-trapping gases, such as methane and nitrous oxide.
The Greenhouse Gas Bulletin notes that fossil fuel-related emissions, mainly from carbon dioxide, account for 80 percent of the increase in warming. CO2 concentrations in the atmosphere grew more rapidly last year than the average growth rate over the past decade.
Jarraud says the increase of carbon dioxide is mostly due to human activity, such as industry, energy production, land use and deforestation, among other factors.
"CO2 is a very stable gas, so it means that there is no sort of chemical reaction which would naturally destroy CO2 [in] the atmosphere. So it stays for very long periods - hundreds of years, or even more. And that is why, as a consequence, the actions we take now or the actions we do not take now will have consequences for a very, very long period," Jarraud says.
Methane is the second biggest contributor to greenhouse gas and to the potential warming of the atmosphere. About 40 percent of methane reaches the atmosphere from natural sources, such as wetlands and termites, with the remaining 60 percent from human activities including cattle breeding, rice agriculture, fossil fuel exploitation and biomass burning.
Nitrous oxide is the third most important greenhouse gas. Sixty percent of emissions come from natural sources and 40 percent from human activity. Nitrous oxide also plays an important role in the destruction of the atmosphere's ozone layer, which protects people from the harmful ultraviolet rays of the sun.
"We are worried not only about the impact on temperature, which is important, but also the impact on the water cycle - more droughts, more floods in other parts of the world. We are worried about the impact on a number of extreme weather events. We are worried about the impact on the sea level," Jarraud says.
Jarraud warns global average temperatures may be 4.6 degrees higher than pre-industrial levels by the end of this century if the world carries on with "business as usual."
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for SEPTEMBER 2017
Parishes. That our parishes, animated by a missionary spirit, may be places where faith is communicated and charity is seen.
A 7.1 quake has rocked Mexico City. Buildings swayed and people dove for cover, but there are now some reports of damage.At least 42 people ... continue reading
Hurricane Irma has destroyed two Caribbean islands, and claimed at least ten lives. Now, the storm is headed towards Florida where it will ... continue reading
Largest ever earthquake swarm detected under killer Yellowstone supervolcano as magma recharges Watch
Yellowstone is now the site of the largest earthquake swarm ever recorded with 2,357 quakes registered since June. The national park, ... continue reading
Today is the World Day of Prayer for the Care of Creation, and Pope Francis has asked all Christians to pray for the Earth and the poor. ... continue reading
Hurricane Harvey may be the worst storm in American history in a number of categories. It spawned and turned into a category 4 storm within ... continue reading
by Catholic Online
- Pope Francis asks the intercession of Our Lady of Guadalupe following ...
- Daily Readings for Friday, September 22, 2017
- St. Thomas of Villanueva: Saint of the Day for Friday, September 22, 2017
- Daily Reading for Saturday, September 23rd, 2017 HD Video
- Hurricane Maria: The worst disaster for Puerto Rico HD Video
- We have unmasked the, foul-mouthed, liberal hypocrite Lawrence ...
- Hurricane Maria scours Puerto Rico, will be months before electricity ...
- Terrifying earthquake collapses buildings in Mexico City, hundreds dead HD
- Daily Reading for Friday, September 22nd, 2017 HD
- Officials warn, 'evacuate or die' as Maria churns towards Puerto Rico HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, September 21st, 2017 HD