Cop comedy '22 Jump Street' takes box office by storm
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
6/16/2014 (2 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
In spite of the World Cup and the Stanley Cup finals dominating TV airwaves this past weekend, it didn't keep film fans from heading to the theaters in droves. The nation's pick for top flick? The rowdy cop comedy "22 Jump Street," which grossed an impressive $60 million its opening weekend.
The comically inept cop comedy duo of Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum in "22 Jump Street" turned in the second-highest-grossing opening weekend for an R-rated comedy.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - The sequel's take was considerably more than the original which grossed $36.3 million in 2012. The comically inept cop comedy duo of Jonah Hill and Channing Tatum turned in the second-highest-grossing opening weekend for an R-rated comedy, ranking just below "Hangover II" at $85.9 million, but besting both "Ted" at $54 million and "Sex and the City" a $57 million.
The animated children's film "How to Train Your Dragon 2" fared well, with an estimated $50 million opener, 14 percent above the original's opening gross of $43.7 million from 2010. Wining strong reviews, "Dragon" is expected to be a longtime summer movie mainstay with families.
Another film fantasy, "Maleficent" only fell 45 percent despite the arrival of the dragons. The re-imagined version of "Sleeping Beauty" was soft with critics but resonated with moviegoers, with a three-week cumulative of $163.5 million. "Maleficent" even topped last weekend's two debuts, out-grossing the Tom Cruise-starrer "Edge of Tomorrow," which lost only 44 percent of its traffic in its sophomore session, coming in at an estimated $16 million.
Last weekend's top earner, "The Fault in Our Stars," which saw its ticket sales drop by 67 percent. It earned an estimated $15.7 million for a 10-day total of $81.7 million.
"X-Men: Days of Future Past" landed outside of the top five this weekend. Shed no tears, as this venerable superhero saga added an additional $9.5 million, surpassing the $200 million mark.
There was a downside to the box office take this past weekend. In spite of being only the fourth time the box office has had two films grossing more than $50 million in their debuts, the overall yield was down seven percent.
Here is how your top ten movies stacked up last weekend.
1. "22 Jump Street" - $60 million
2. "How to Train Your Dragon 2" - $50 million
3. "Maleficent" - $19 million
4. "Edge of Tomorrow" - $16 million
5. "The Fault in Our Stars" - $15.7 million
6. "X-Men: Days of Future Past" - $9.5 million
7. "Godzilla" - $3 million
8. "A Million Ways to Die in the West" - $3 million
9. "Neighbors" - $2 million
10. "Chef" - $2 million
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for MAY 2017
Christians in Africa. That Christians in Africa, in imitation of the Merciful Jesus, may give prophetic witness to reconciliation, justice, and peace.
Desperate to remain relevant and make money, the movie industry is preparing to release a smutty film about lesbian nuns with mystical ... continue reading
This summer some pretty amazing movies are going to hit theaters, so which ones are YOU excited about? LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - ... continue reading
From the Norbertines of St. Michael's Abbey and Chuck Kinnane, director of The Human Experience, Child 31, and Generation Hope, comes a new ... continue reading
Disney's remake of "Beauty and the Beast" is turning heads for its amazing cast, classic story and, more notoriously, its use of Disney's ... continue reading
Without having witnessed a single film trailer, or reading the book upon which it is based, I set out to watch "The Shack." What I ... continue reading
by Catholic Online
- St. Augustine of Canterbury: Saint of the Day for Saturday, May 27, 2017
- Daily Readings for Saturday, May 27, 2017
- A Big Thank You from JESUS IS - The Series HD Video
- First US female genital mutilation case tries to use Religious ...
- 26 Coptic Christians dead after heinous attack HD Video
- 26 Coptic Christians BRUTALLY MURDERED on bus to St. Samuel Monastery ...
- Catholic Hostages: Filipino Cardinal prays for Islamic militants to ...
- Day 5 - Novena to the Holy Spirit for a New Pentecost for the Church HD
- Day 4 - Novena to the Holy Spirit for a New Pentecost for the Church HD
- Day 3 - Novena to the Holy Spirit for a New Pentecost for the Church HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, May 31st, 2017 HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.