Can't say no to the Big Green Lizard: 'Godzilla' conquers box office
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
5/20/2014 (2 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
"Godzilla" roared into theaters last weekend, and predictably, moviegoers couldn't say no. The iconic monster movie opened to a worldwide box office take of $196.2 million. As a result, response to Jon Hamm's sports drama "Million Dollar Arm" was soft.
"Godzilla" roared into theaters last weekend, and predictably, moviegoers couldn't say no. The iconic monster movie opened to a worldwide box office take of $196.2 million.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Director Gareth Edwards' "Godzilla" reboot was the second biggest opening of the year thus far. A longtime favorite with filmgoers, the re-imagining gave the giant lizard a new lease on life.
The movie's debut far exceeded expectations. Popular with guys, men made up the majority of the audience at 58 percent. Forty percent of ticket buyers were under the age of 40.
"Godzilla" delivered the second-best opening of the year so far after "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" at $95 million. Godzilla bested the $91.6 million opening of "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" two weeks ago.
The success of "Godzilla" is seen as a defining moment for Legendary Pictures, which spearheaded the reboot. Thomas Tull's Legendary financed 75 percent of Godzilla, with Warner Bros. putting up the rest of the money.
"Thomas Tull and his team did an incredible job and have delivered a new franchise," Warners president of domestic distribution Dan Fellman said.
"X-Men: Days of Future Past," which opens next weekend, will have big shoes to fill.
The only other film opening in North America over the weekend was Disney's "Million Dollar Arm," starring Jon Hamm as a sports agent who travels to India to recruit baseball pitchers. The $25 million movie opened to a disappointing $10.5 million, putting it at No. 4 for the weekend behind "Godzilla," "Neighbors" and "Amazing Spider-Man 2."
Sony's "Amazing Spider-Man 2" fell roughly 54 percent in its third weekend, earning an estimated $16.8 million for a domestic cume of $172.1 million.
The Top Ten Movies this past weekend were -
1. "Godzilla," at $93.2 million
2. "Neighbors," at $91.5 million
3. "The Amazing Spider-Man 2," at $172.1 million
4. "Million Dollar Arm," at $10.5 million
5. "The Other Woman," at $71.7 million
6. "Heaven Is for Real," at $82.2 million
7. "Rio 2," at $118.1 million
8. "Captain America: The Winter Soldier," at $250.6 million
9. "Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return," at $6.6 million
10. "Moms' Night Out," at $7.3 million
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for MARCH 2017
Support for Persecuted Christians. That persecuted Christians may be supported by the prayers and material help of the whole Church.
From the Norbertines of St. Michael's Abbey and Chuck Kinnane, director of The Human Experience, Child 31, and Generation Hope, comes a new ... continue reading
Disney's remake of "Beauty and the Beast" is turning heads for its amazing cast, classic story and, more notoriously, its use of Disney's ... continue reading
Without having witnessed a single film trailer, or reading the book upon which it is based, I set out to watch "The Shack." What I ... continue reading
Steven Spielberg, best known for directing films such as "Jaws," the "Indiana Jones" films and "Schindler's List," is working on a new film ... continue reading
Golden Globes 2017: Did any Catholic-based films make the cut? Check out the complete list of nominees here Watch
The 74th Golden Globe Awards nominees are finally in! LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - The Golden Globe awards will be hosted by Jimmy ... continue reading
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Friday, March 31, 2017
- The one strange thing millennials are giving up for Lent
- Pope Francis shares important message with families HD Video
- IHOP employee pictured with disabled customer melts hearts around the ...
- 'Living Lent': Friday of the Fourth Week of Lent - Day 31
- Implant allows paralyzed man to move arm using his thoughts HD Video
- St. Benjamin: Saint of the Day for Friday, March 31, 2017
- Daily Reading for Friday, March 31st, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, March 30th, 2017 HD
- Cause of California's drought is revealed HD
- Pope Francis' important message for children HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.