Can't say no to the Big Green Lizard: 'Godzilla' conquers box office
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
5/20/2014 (3 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
"Godzilla" roared into theaters last weekend, and predictably, moviegoers couldn't say no. The iconic monster movie opened to a worldwide box office take of $196.2 million. As a result, response to Jon Hamm's sports drama "Million Dollar Arm" was soft.
"Godzilla" roared into theaters last weekend, and predictably, moviegoers couldn't say no. The iconic monster movie opened to a worldwide box office take of $196.2 million.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Director Gareth Edwards' "Godzilla" reboot was the second biggest opening of the year thus far. A longtime favorite with filmgoers, the re-imagining gave the giant lizard a new lease on life.
The movie's debut far exceeded expectations. Popular with guys, men made up the majority of the audience at 58 percent. Forty percent of ticket buyers were under the age of 40.
"Godzilla" delivered the second-best opening of the year so far after "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" at $95 million. Godzilla bested the $91.6 million opening of "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" two weeks ago.
The success of "Godzilla" is seen as a defining moment for Legendary Pictures, which spearheaded the reboot. Thomas Tull's Legendary financed 75 percent of Godzilla, with Warner Bros. putting up the rest of the money.
"Thomas Tull and his team did an incredible job and have delivered a new franchise," Warners president of domestic distribution Dan Fellman said.
"X-Men: Days of Future Past," which opens next weekend, will have big shoes to fill.
The only other film opening in North America over the weekend was Disney's "Million Dollar Arm," starring Jon Hamm as a sports agent who travels to India to recruit baseball pitchers. The $25 million movie opened to a disappointing $10.5 million, putting it at No. 4 for the weekend behind "Godzilla," "Neighbors" and "Amazing Spider-Man 2."
Sony's "Amazing Spider-Man 2" fell roughly 54 percent in its third weekend, earning an estimated $16.8 million for a domestic cume of $172.1 million.
The Top Ten Movies this past weekend were -
1. "Godzilla," at $93.2 million
2. "Neighbors," at $91.5 million
3. "The Amazing Spider-Man 2," at $172.1 million
4. "Million Dollar Arm," at $10.5 million
5. "The Other Woman," at $71.7 million
6. "Heaven Is for Real," at $82.2 million
7. "Rio 2," at $118.1 million
8. "Captain America: The Winter Soldier," at $250.6 million
9. "Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return," at $6.6 million
10. "Moms' Night Out," at $7.3 million
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for JUNE 2017
National Leaders. That national leaders may firmly commit themselves to ending the arms trade, which victimizes so many innocent people.
Desperate to remain relevant and make money, the movie industry is preparing to release a smutty film about lesbian nuns with mystical ... continue reading
This summer some pretty amazing movies are going to hit theaters, so which ones are YOU excited about? LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - ... continue reading
From the Norbertines of St. Michael's Abbey and Chuck Kinnane, director of The Human Experience, Child 31, and Generation Hope, comes a new ... continue reading
Disney's remake of "Beauty and the Beast" is turning heads for its amazing cast, classic story and, more notoriously, its use of Disney's ... continue reading
Without having witnessed a single film trailer, or reading the book upon which it is based, I set out to watch "The Shack." What I ... continue reading
by Catholic Online
- Daily Reading for Friday, June 30th, 2017 HD Video
- St. Peter: Saint of the Day for Thursday, June 29, 2017
- Mafia responds to Pope Francis' suggestion they be excommunicated HD ...
- Waymo announces self driving trucks, industry close to shifting
- Daily Readings for Thursday, June 29, 2017
- Could man who destroyed Ten Commandments monument be possessed?
- ISIS sex slave forced to EAT her COOKED one-year-old BABY
- st. nicholas
- st john the baptist
- daily readings
- saint george
- saint james
- Saint Patrick
- st. francis
- st. jude
- st. peter
- mother theresa
- st james
- st joan of arc
- advent prayers
- St Joseph
- ten commandments
- Pope Francis
- saint agnes
- St Anthony
- 10 commandments
- mary magdalene
- Daily Reading for Thursday, June 29th, 2017 HD
- Terrorists using Christians as sex slaves and human shields in the Philippines HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, June 28th, 2017 HD
- Central bankers warn of looming global recession HD