Can't say no to the Big Green Lizard: 'Godzilla' conquers box office
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
5/20/2014 (3 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
"Godzilla" roared into theaters last weekend, and predictably, moviegoers couldn't say no. The iconic monster movie opened to a worldwide box office take of $196.2 million. As a result, response to Jon Hamm's sports drama "Million Dollar Arm" was soft.
"Godzilla" roared into theaters last weekend, and predictably, moviegoers couldn't say no. The iconic monster movie opened to a worldwide box office take of $196.2 million.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Director Gareth Edwards' "Godzilla" reboot was the second biggest opening of the year thus far. A longtime favorite with filmgoers, the re-imagining gave the giant lizard a new lease on life.
The movie's debut far exceeded expectations. Popular with guys, men made up the majority of the audience at 58 percent. Forty percent of ticket buyers were under the age of 40.
"Godzilla" delivered the second-best opening of the year so far after "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" at $95 million. Godzilla bested the $91.6 million opening of "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" two weeks ago.
The success of "Godzilla" is seen as a defining moment for Legendary Pictures, which spearheaded the reboot. Thomas Tull's Legendary financed 75 percent of Godzilla, with Warner Bros. putting up the rest of the money.
"Thomas Tull and his team did an incredible job and have delivered a new franchise," Warners president of domestic distribution Dan Fellman said.
"X-Men: Days of Future Past," which opens next weekend, will have big shoes to fill.
The only other film opening in North America over the weekend was Disney's "Million Dollar Arm," starring Jon Hamm as a sports agent who travels to India to recruit baseball pitchers. The $25 million movie opened to a disappointing $10.5 million, putting it at No. 4 for the weekend behind "Godzilla," "Neighbors" and "Amazing Spider-Man 2."
Sony's "Amazing Spider-Man 2" fell roughly 54 percent in its third weekend, earning an estimated $16.8 million for a domestic cume of $172.1 million.
The Top Ten Movies this past weekend were -
1. "Godzilla," at $93.2 million
2. "Neighbors," at $91.5 million
3. "The Amazing Spider-Man 2," at $172.1 million
4. "Million Dollar Arm," at $10.5 million
5. "The Other Woman," at $71.7 million
6. "Heaven Is for Real," at $82.2 million
7. "Rio 2," at $118.1 million
8. "Captain America: The Winter Soldier," at $250.6 million
9. "Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return," at $6.6 million
10. "Moms' Night Out," at $7.3 million
Copyright 2018 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for JANUARY 2018
Religious Minorities in Asia. That Christians, and other religious minorities in Asian countries, may be able to practise their faith in full freedom.
What children read, what they see on the screen, can inspire them toward greater faithfulness. Conversely, Father Robert warns, it can lead ... continue reading
Ever felt like there is nothing worthwhile to watch? You might want to check out the Vatican's list of 'Some Important Films'.In 1995, Pope ... continue reading
Desperate to remain relevant and make money, the movie industry is preparing to release a smutty film about lesbian nuns with mystical ... continue reading
This summer some pretty amazing movies are going to hit theaters, so which ones are YOU excited about? LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - ... continue reading
From the Norbertines of St. Michael's Abbey and Chuck Kinnane, director of The Human Experience, Child 31, and Generation Hope, comes a new ... continue reading
by Catholic Online
- Most Americans want abortion restricted, if not outlawed
- Cardinal Dolan asks the faithful to pray against 'powers of darkness' ...
- Science is transforming the pro-life debate for the better HD Video
- St. Fabian: Saint of the Day for Saturday, January 20, 2018
- 5 Things You Need To Know About 'Offering A Mass' For A Loved One
- Daily Readings for Saturday, January 20, 2018
- Daily Reading for Monday, January 22nd, 2018 HD Video
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, January 23rd, 2018 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, January 21st, 2018 HD
- Jobless claims are down - what does that mean for workers? HD
- Daily Reading for Saturday, January 20th, 2018 HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way
Teacher lesson plans & resources
Support Free Education
Tax deductible support Free education