Can't say no to the Big Green Lizard: 'Godzilla' conquers box office
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
5/20/2014 (2 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
"Godzilla" roared into theaters last weekend, and predictably, moviegoers couldn't say no. The iconic monster movie opened to a worldwide box office take of $196.2 million. As a result, response to Jon Hamm's sports drama "Million Dollar Arm" was soft.
"Godzilla" roared into theaters last weekend, and predictably, moviegoers couldn't say no. The iconic monster movie opened to a worldwide box office take of $196.2 million.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Director Gareth Edwards' "Godzilla" reboot was the second biggest opening of the year thus far. A longtime favorite with filmgoers, the re-imagining gave the giant lizard a new lease on life.
The movie's debut far exceeded expectations. Popular with guys, men made up the majority of the audience at 58 percent. Forty percent of ticket buyers were under the age of 40.
"Godzilla" delivered the second-best opening of the year so far after "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" at $95 million. Godzilla bested the $91.6 million opening of "The Amazing Spider-Man 2" two weeks ago.
The success of "Godzilla" is seen as a defining moment for Legendary Pictures, which spearheaded the reboot. Thomas Tull's Legendary financed 75 percent of Godzilla, with Warner Bros. putting up the rest of the money.
"Thomas Tull and his team did an incredible job and have delivered a new franchise," Warners president of domestic distribution Dan Fellman said.
"X-Men: Days of Future Past," which opens next weekend, will have big shoes to fill.
The only other film opening in North America over the weekend was Disney's "Million Dollar Arm," starring Jon Hamm as a sports agent who travels to India to recruit baseball pitchers. The $25 million movie opened to a disappointing $10.5 million, putting it at No. 4 for the weekend behind "Godzilla," "Neighbors" and "Amazing Spider-Man 2."
Sony's "Amazing Spider-Man 2" fell roughly 54 percent in its third weekend, earning an estimated $16.8 million for a domestic cume of $172.1 million.
The Top Ten Movies this past weekend were -
1. "Godzilla," at $93.2 million
2. "Neighbors," at $91.5 million
3. "The Amazing Spider-Man 2," at $172.1 million
4. "Million Dollar Arm," at $10.5 million
5. "The Other Woman," at $71.7 million
6. "Heaven Is for Real," at $82.2 million
7. "Rio 2," at $118.1 million
8. "Captain America: The Winter Soldier," at $250.6 million
9. "Legends of Oz: Dorothy's Return," at $6.6 million
10. "Moms' Night Out," at $7.3 million
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for FEBRUARY 2017
Comfort for the Afflicted. That all those who are afflicted, especially the poor, refugees, and marginalized, may find welcome and comfort in our communities.
Golden Globes 2017: Did any Catholic-based films make the cut? Check out the complete list of nominees here Watch
The 74th Golden Globe Awards nominees are finally in! LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - The Golden Globe awards will be hosted by Jimmy ... continue reading
Pope Francis welcomed Oscar-winning film director Martin Scorses and his family to the Vatican Wednesday to discuss "Silence," a film ... continue reading
Stop. If you haven't seen the latest sci-fi thriller, Arrival and you plan to do so, read no further. This story contains spoilers. If ... continue reading
Mel Gibson rises from a ten-year reprieve to release his latest faith-based film. LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - For the first time ... continue reading
A powerful, new short film sheds light on the modern day Holocaust and challenges the church to take a stand. Sing A Little Louder, a heart ... continue reading
by Catholic Online
- St. Dominic Savio HD Video
- 1,000 Christians flee for their lives - 'We became like refugees'
- Clinton contributor makes revealing 'life insurance' video over fear ...
- Daily Readings for Monday, February 27, 2017
- Your Daily Inspirational Meme: Faith Is Believing
- California could REBEL against Obama AND Trump and build its own ...
- St. Leander of Seville: Saint of the Day for Monday, February 27, 2017
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, February 28th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, February 27th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, February 26th, 2017 HD
- Urgent action necessary for 5.5 million people starving in South Sudan HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.