'Captain America' pushes aside 'Noah' to set April box office record
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
4/7/2014 (3 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
Move over, "Noah." "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" was the largest April debut for any film on record, totaling all box-office competition. Movie theaters across the U.S. were galvanized with a jolt only seen in summertime blockbusters as "Captain America" raked in a staggering $96.2 million its first opening weekend.
"Captain America: The Winter Soldier" broke all box office records for the month of April.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Analysts had predicted a substantial box office take. "Captain America" quickly overtook 2011's "Fast Five," which bowed to $86 million in the last weekend of April, typically Hollywood's unofficial opening weekend of summer.
"Disney ran another Marvel movie up the flagpole," David Mumpower, analyst for Box Office Prophets says. "And the entirety of North America saluted."
It's been a good year so far for motion pictures. The nation's box office is running about 10 percent ahead of sales through the same period last year.
"Captain America" is the latest superhero to thrive in the wake of the comic-book ensemble "The Avengers", which collected $623 million in 2012, according to Ray Subers, analyst for Box Office Mojo.
"Soldier," like last year's "Thor: The Dark World" at $206 million and "Iron Man 3" at $409 million, was seen as a continuing tale of the all-star team, not a sequel to the superhero's individual story, Subers says.
"The performance ... indicates that the 'Avengers bump' is a real thing," Subers says.
It didn't hurt that "Captain America" got good reviews as well. About 89 percent of reviewers recommended the film, while 95 percent of fans said they enjoyed it, says survey site Rotten Tomatoes. The film earned an "A" from audiences, according to online pollsters CinemaScore.
Subers says the critical and commercial reception propels Captain America to "the superhero A-list alongside 'Batman,' 'Iron Man,' 'Spider-Man,' 'Superman' and the 'X-Men.'"
The biblical tale "Noah" was second with $17 million, bringing its 10-day total to $72.3 million.
The teen fantasy adaptation "Divergent" captured third with $13 million, followed by "God's Not Dead" with $7.7 million.
This weekend's top ten at the movies were:
1. "Captain America: The Winter Soldier" - $96,200,000
2. "Noah" - $17,000,000
3. "Divergent" - $13,000,000
4. "God's Not Dead" - $7,726,000
5. "The Grand Budapest Hotel" - $6,300,000
6. "Muppets Most Wanted" - $6,285,000
7. "Mr. Peabody and Sherman" - $5,300,000
8. "Sabotage" - $1,908,000
9. "Need For Speed" - $1,836,000
10 "Non-Stop - $1,827,000
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for AUGUST 2017
Artists. That artists of our time, through their ingenuity, may help everyone discover the beauty of creation.
Ever felt like there is nothing worthwhile to watch? You might want to check out the Vatican's list of 'Some Important Films'.In 1995, Pope ... continue reading
Desperate to remain relevant and make money, the movie industry is preparing to release a smutty film about lesbian nuns with mystical ... continue reading
This summer some pretty amazing movies are going to hit theaters, so which ones are YOU excited about? LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - ... continue reading
From the Norbertines of St. Michael's Abbey and Chuck Kinnane, director of The Human Experience, Child 31, and Generation Hope, comes a new ... continue reading
Disney's remake of "Beauty and the Beast" is turning heads for its amazing cast, classic story and, more notoriously, its use of Disney's ... continue reading
by Catholic Online
- Pope Francis asks for prayers following terror attacks in Spain HD Video
- Daily Readings for Monday, August 21, 2017
- St. Pius X: Saint of the Day for Monday, August 21, 2017
- Why have ONE MILLION South Sudanese people entered Uganda?
- Mother shares tragic photo of dying daughter as she pulled the plug ...
- 'IN OUR HEARTS WE BEAR THE PAIN' Pope Francis opens prayers for all ...
- Pro-Life win? Arkansas makes big moves against abortion-machine ...
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, August 22nd, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, August 21st, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Sunday, August 20th, 2017 HD
- Charlie Gard's mother opens up about the beautiful life of terminally ill Charlie HD