In order to break the cycle of poverty, we must first start with the heart. Catholic Online School is something very special, providing FREE Catholic Education to anyone, anywhere. Learn more about the Catholic Online School
Help us create new hope with your donation. This year, please consider making a donation of $5, $20, $50 or whatever you can to support Catholic Online School. Support Catholic Online School
Low-budget horror thriller 'The Purge' packs them in
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
6/10/2013 (4 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
Movie audiences crave films with solid stories, interesting premises and a few well-placed shocks. Made for $3 million, "The Purge" starring Ethan Hawkes raked in $36.4 million at the nation's box office this past weekend. Lack of computer generated imagery or big names didn't prevent people from lining up for this most unusual thriller.
"The Purge's" success chalked up another victory for Jason Blum, whose likewise very low-budget "Paranormal Activity" franchise also plays to sold-out audiences.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) "The Purge's" success chalked up another victory for Jason Blum, whose likewise very low-budget "Paranormal Activity" franchise also plays to sold-out audiences. University Studios had expected the film to only open in the high teens.
"Never did we expect it to open at this level," Nikki Rocco, head of distribution for Universal says. "This result could not have been forecasted by anybody."
A lack of scary movies at multiplexes was a major factor for "The Purge." Written and directed by James DeMonaco, "The Purge" is set in a slightly dystopic United States in the year 2022, where crime has been eradicated except for one violently cathartic day a year when nearly all mayhem is legal. The Purge's late night screenings Thursday night alone took in $3.4 million.
"This is exactly the kind of film that stumps all the analysts," Paul Dergarabedian, an analyst for box-office tracker Hollywood.com says. "It proves that R-rated horror films, no matter the budget, always have a place with audiences."
The second spot at the box office, as the Vin Diesel action flick "Fast & Furious 6" earned $19.8 million in its third week of release. The sixth installment of the street racing series has now earned a total of $202.3 million domestically and $381.7 million internationally.
The Google-promoting comedy "The Internship" opened at third, with $18.1 million, a decent debut.
Lionsgate's "Now You See Me" held strong, earning $19.5 million over the weekend, bringing its cumulative haul to $61.4 million.
On the other end of the spectrum: Will Smith's sci-fi adventure "After Earth" flopped in its domestic opening last weekend. Domestically, it continued to fare poorly, adding only $11.2 million in its second week.
The Top Ten at this past weekend's box office went like this -
1. "The Purge," $36.4 million.
2. "Fast & Furious 6," $19.8 million ($45.3 million international).
3. "Now You See Me," $19.5 million ($2 million international).
4. "The Internship," $18.1 million.
5. "Epic," $12.1 million ($12.7 million international).
6. "Star Trek Into Darkness," $11.7 million ($17.6 million international).
7. "After Earth," $11.2 million ($45.5 million international).
8. "The Hangover Part III," $7.4 million ($34.8 million international).
9. "Iron Man 3," $5.8 million ($3.9 million international).
10. "The Great Gatsby," $4.2 million ($13.3 million international).
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for OCTOBER 2017
Workers and the Unemployed. That all workers may receive respect and protection of their rights, and that the unemployed may receive the opportunity to contribute to the common good.
What children read, what they see on the screen, can inspire them toward greater faithfulness. Conversely, Father Robert warns, it can lead ... continue reading
Ever felt like there is nothing worthwhile to watch? You might want to check out the Vatican's list of 'Some Important Films'.In 1995, Pope ... continue reading
Desperate to remain relevant and make money, the movie industry is preparing to release a smutty film about lesbian nuns with mystical ... continue reading
This summer some pretty amazing movies are going to hit theaters, so which ones are YOU excited about? LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - ... continue reading
From the Norbertines of St. Michael's Abbey and Chuck Kinnane, director of The Human Experience, Child 31, and Generation Hope, comes a new ... continue reading
by Catholic Online
- Daily Readings for Thursday, December 14, 2017
- Bioscience firms admit trafficking illegal fetal body parts - How ...
- St. John of the Cross: Saint of the Day for Thursday, December 14, 2017
- Could it be an alien spacecraft? Scientists listening today for ...
- NO, you may NOT venerate the apparitions in Medjugorje
- Daily Reading for Friday, December 15th, 2017 HD Video
- Pope Francis: Our Lady reveals everyone has a place in the Church
- Is Facebook ripping apart human civilization? HD
- Daily Reading for Thursday, December 14th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Wednesday, December 13th, 2017 HD
- Attempted terror attack fails in Manhattan as pipe bomb explodes early HD
Learn about Catholic world
Inform - Inspire - Ignite
Catholic Online Saints
Your saints explained
Catholic Online Prayers
Prayers for every need
Catholic Online Bible
Complete bible online
Catholic Online News
Your news Catholic eye
Today's bible reading
Products and services we offer
Catholic Online Shopping
Catholic medals, gifts & books
The California Network
Inspiring streaming service
Learn the Catholic way