'Fast & Furious 6' biggest opening film in Universal Studios' history
By Catholic Online (NEWS CONSORTIUM)
5/28/2013 (3 years ago)
Catholic Online (www.catholic.org)
The sixth installment in the popular action-adventure series, "Fast & Furious 6" was way ahead in the movie pack this past Memorial Day weekend, becoming Universal Studios' biggest opening film to date. Starring Vin Diesel and Dwayne Johnston, "6" grossed a substantial $120 million, the second-biggest film opening of the year behind Disney's "Iron Man 3's" $175.3 million earlier this month.
"Fast & Furious 6" rang up an estimated $300 million at the global box office. Besting its predecessor in the series, "Fast Five," the previous entry held the title of best opening for the studio with $83.6 million at domestic theaters.
LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - Adding to its bankability, "Fast & Furious 6" rang up an estimated $300 million at the global box office. Besting its predecessor in the series, "Fast Five," the previous entry held the title of best opening for the studio with $83.6 million at domestic theaters.
"The Hangover Part III," the third and final installment in the raunchy comedy series about four men trying to piece together the events of a wild night, was left relatively in the dust this weekend. Starring Bradley Cooper, Zach Galifianakis and Ed Helms, the third installment grossed an estimated $51.2 million at the U.S. and Canada box office.
The film also opened in its first three international markets over the weekend - United Kingdom, Australia and New Zealand - grossing $19 million, bringing the total in the markets where it is showing to an estimated $70.2 million.
"Some might argue that we should have stopped at one, but we loved doing these movies and the audience has been there" for them, Todd Philips, the director of the "Hangover" franchise said. "The word 'hangover' . is something that people share around the world. There are some comedies that are uniquely American, but hangovers exist for the world," he added.
"Star Trek Into Darkness," playing in 3D and Imax theaters, came in at No. 3 at the domestic box office with $47 million from Friday to Monday, bringing its cumulative total to $155.8 million since opening on May 17.
In fourth place was the animated family film "Epic," about a secret world in which nature's inhabitants come together to fight evil forces grossed an estimated $42.6 million domestically over the Memorial Day weekend.
The Top Ten at the nation's box offices this past Memorial Day Weekend was:
1. "Fast & Furious 6," $98.5 million
2. "The Hangover Part III," $54.2 million
3. "Star Trek Into Darkness," $38 million. Total: $146.8m
4. "Epic," $34.2 million.
5. "Iron Man 3," $19.4m. Total: $367.5 million.
6. "The Great Gatsby," $13.7m. Total: $114.4 million.
7. "Mud," $1.9 million. Total: $14.6 million.
8. "42," $1.25 million. Total: $91 million.
9. "The Croods," $1.22 million. Total: $179.2 million.
10. "Oblivion," $815,000. Total: $87.3 million.
Copyright 2017 - Distributed by THE CALIFORNIA NETWORK
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for APRIL 2017
Young People. That young people may respond generously to their vocations and seriously consider offering themselves to God in the priesthood or consecrated life.
From the Norbertines of St. Michael's Abbey and Chuck Kinnane, director of The Human Experience, Child 31, and Generation Hope, comes a new ... continue reading
Disney's remake of "Beauty and the Beast" is turning heads for its amazing cast, classic story and, more notoriously, its use of Disney's ... continue reading
Without having witnessed a single film trailer, or reading the book upon which it is based, I set out to watch "The Shack." What I ... continue reading
Steven Spielberg, best known for directing films such as "Jaws," the "Indiana Jones" films and "Schindler's List," is working on a new film ... continue reading
Golden Globes 2017: Did any Catholic-based films make the cut? Check out the complete list of nominees here Watch
The 74th Golden Globe Awards nominees are finally in! LOS ANGELES, CA (Catholic Online) - The Golden Globe awards will be hosted by Jimmy ... continue reading
by Catholic Online
- Day 3 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD Video
- Does this mysterious stone hold a secret about human civilization?
- Daily Readings for Sunday, April 23, 2017
- St. George: Saint of the Day for Sunday, April 23, 2017
- Scientists discover hobbits are real, but they're not related to us
- Day 2 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD Video
- NYC Catholics accuse Cardinal Dolan for 'playing both sides' as ...
- Day 1 - Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
- Daily Reading for Tuesday, April 25th, 2017 HD
- Daily Reading for Monday, April 24th, 2017 HD
- Intro to the Novena for Workers, the Unemployed and Underemployed HD
Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. All materials contained on this site, whether written, audible or visual are the exclusive property of Catholic Online and are protected under U.S. and International copyright laws, © Copyright 2017 Catholic Online. Any unauthorized use, without prior written consent of Catholic Online is strictly forbidden and prohibited.