The Emptiness of Post Abortion Healing
Postabortive people will often try to fill the void with unhealthy things, like drugs, alcohol, eating disorders, and promiscuity. We somehow think if we run fast enough, or numb ourselves enough we will not notice the hole at all. But, in the quiet of the night, we still feel its presence.
I do not think that anyone can really know what the emptiness of post abortion healing feels like unless they experience it. There is a huge void in your heart, which becomes filled with feelings of guilt, shame, abandonment, and loneliness. I could go on and on, but if you are post abortive you know exactly what I mean.
Postabortive people will often try to fill the void with unhealthy things, like drugs, alcohol, eating disorders, and promiscuity. We somehow think if we run fast enough, or numb ourselves enough we will not notice the hole at all. But, in the quiet of the night, we still feel its presence. Many times the void gets filled with the spirit of depression, temptations to despair, and accusatory screams of worthlessness and hopelessness. But, the truth is, there is always hope because there is Jesus Christ who is our hope.
That being said, Jesus is not someone who we bargain with for our healing. "If I do this or that - He will heal me." We struggle with the feeling that, "if I could just do enough I can somehow make up for what I have done." Instead of being busy with "doing" we need to get busy with "being." We need to sit in the emptiness knowing He has already made up for our abortions. We need to pray - not to make up - but to develop a relationship with God who loves us unconditionally and wants to heal us. We need to proclaim and trust in our healing because it is there for us and He died on the cross for it. We need to sit still and listen to Him.
We also need to obtain and learn about the tools we need to combat the feelings and actions that are contrary to His will for us. These can be found through a good post abortion ministry, a therapist knowledgeable in post abortion healing, and most of all, from others who have walked through the healing process before us. These relationships can join you in the battles that are sure to rage as you make your way to the Promised Land. An army is always better than going solo. Others can watch your back and warn you of the dangers and how to walk through them.
Plan your army both spiritually and physically. Form your human army with people who can help you through the feelings and temptations when the battle is raging. Gather people to you who are able to give you the weapons you need to silence the enemy. People who know the tactics used against us by both our own thinking and on a spiritual level.
There is a beautiful line in the novena to "Our Lady Undoer of Knots:Come, dear Mother, not only to undo my knots, but to enter into the emptiness of my soul.
Invite Our Lady into your emptiness where she will accompany you and provide all that is needed by undoing the knots that obstruct your healing and bring you to the peace of Her Son who died for your salvation.
Theresa is the Director of Lumina/Hope & Healing After Abortion, a post abortion ministry under the arm of Good Counsel Homes, founded by Chris Bell and Rev Benedict Groeschel, CFR. With the Sisters of Life, Theresa also co-developed the healing ministry, "Entering Canaan, a Sacramental Journey to an Inheritance of Mercy". Along with the Sisters of Life and Friars of the Renewal Theresa conducts retreats for women, and men suffering from abortion as well as siblings of those who have been aborted. She also does public speaking and training to educate on post abortion stress. She can be reached at email@example.com , 877-586-4621 or http://www.postabortionhelp.org
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal SeŠn Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Deal Hudson on Culture and the Death of God
- 'Ag gag' bill passes in Idaho; filming at farms now prohibited
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?