HISTORICAL TREASURE TROVE: Jack Ruby's personal files revealed for first time
Assassin of Lee Harvey Oswald's testimony doesn't gibe with some conspiracy theories
The world is set to learn more about Jack Ruby, the man who gunned down Lee Harvey Oswald. Numerous boxes of documents and artifacts from the Dallas County district attorney's prosecution of Ruby in 1964 have now been made public. As the nation observes the 50th anniversary of President Kennedy's assassination, some questions are now set to be answered about a key player.
Jack Ruby's gun holster and the aluminum brass knuckles he carried, along with membership cards from his nightclub, The Carousel Club have now been made available to the public.
More importantly, a lie-detector document shows Ruby was asked, "Did you shoot Oswald to save Mrs. Kennedy the ordeal of trial?" He said, "Yes."
AFTER THE UNSPEAKABLE, WE SPEAK HOPE. Support Catholic Online's response to Typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines. DONATE NOW ...
Documents now may answer questions about how Ruby was able to shoot Oswald as he was being led out of Dallas Police headquarters.
Dallas Police Officer Roy Vaughn was on duty, guarding the garage ramp. Ruby somehow slipped past and shot Oswald moments later. Some conspiracy theorists that Vaughn might have let Ruby in on purpose.
This has long rankled Nancy Kennemar, Vaughn's daughter. She said her father felt like his integrity was questioned. "He said that later in some interviews. He said, 'That's one thing you don't want taken away from you is your integrity,'" she says.
Now, a document from these files cancel this. In a memo from the Dallas County district attorney at the time, Henry Wade, indicating that, while being interviewed, Ruby told Wade when he slipped down the ramp, "the officer (Roy Vaughn) did not see him."
Other documents prove Ruby didn't even know Vaughn's name. Asked if she feels like the officer's name can be cleared, Perry said he would "absolutely be vindicated by this."
Ther eis a n air of tragedy about his discovery, as Vaughn never saw those documents. The 30-year law enforcement officer, who went on to serve as a police chief, died in 2010.
"I wish my dad were alive and he knew about this because even though I trust that he was innocent of any wrongdoing, I think that it would mean something to him to see this paperwork," Kennemar says.
Some of the artifacts and documents from the files to the Sixth Floor Museum in Dallas.
The 12 boxes of artifacts and documents had sat for years in a warehouse. Retired insurance investigator Dave Perry has studied the Kennedy assassination for more than 40 years. After being asked by CBS News asked to help examine the files, Perry declared, "This is a virtual treasure trove that literally gets into the mind of Jack Ruby."
Among many other artifacts that have since come to light was a letter sent by Lee Harvey Oswald's mother, Marguerite, disputing that her son was the president's lone assassin, and Ruby's lie-detector test.
A birth foretold: click here to learn more!
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal SeŠn Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Deal Hudson on Culture and the Death of God
- 'Ag gag' bill passes in Idaho; filming at farms now prohibited
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?