Does this image show Lincoln at Gettysburg? You decide.
Image would invalidate other two images that purport to show the 16th president.
A Disney animator and amateur historian says he has found another photo of President Lincoln at the Gettysburg Address. He is thought to appear only twice in the Gettysburg images and this claim makes a controversial third. Furthermore, this image would cast doubt on the interpretation of other images.
Lincoln travelled to Gettysburg to participate in the dedication of a cemetery at Gettysburg. Just weeks before two of the greatest armies in North American history marched and clashed in an epic three-day struggle. That battle was part of a carefully planned campaign intended to clench support for the fledgling Confederacy by threatening the Union capital and forcing the Army of the Potomac into smashing itself against Lee's courageous divisions.
Instead, under the new leadership of General George Meade and with the able subordinates in blue, the Army of the Potomac made a heroic stand on the rolling hills outside Gettysburg town, against the increasingly desperate Army of Northern Virginia led by General Robert E. Lee.
Although the Civil War would continue for another two years, the battle marked a high point for the Confederacy and a key turning point of the war.
Lincoln chose this moment to deliver one of the most iconic speeches in American history. The Gettysburg Address was short, but poetic and long on symbolism. During the occasion, few images were taken and two were thought to include the president.
Reviewing images of the period is difficult because cameras required long exposure times of several seconds and any motion caused blurring.
There is now a suspected third apparition of Lincoln in the Gettysburg photos. However, historians vehemently dispute the quality of the claim. Part of the issue is that if the image is accurate, then Lincoln could not have been in the other spots and historians have been wrong all along about Lincoln's location in the images.
In fairness, the image is very unclear. Christopher Oakley, a former Disney animator and professor of history at the University of North Carolina Ashville, discovered the likeness while combing through images of the address. He spent $73 to have the Library of Congress create a high-resolution copy of the image for close examination. He identified a blurry face in the crowd that he thinks is unmistakably Lincoln.
He claims the bone structure of the face is an exact match for the President.
Others are not so sure.
We will allow you to make up your own mind.
Check out the images below. What's your verdict?
This image is the best one that clearly depicts Lincoln, or so most historians conclude.
Can you spot him? It's fairly difficult...
This may help.
It's difficult to decide.
Click here to learn about our Saint Michael the Archangel conference this Nov 1-3!
© 2013, Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- If Detroit declares bankruptcy - what then?
- United States teens still lagging behind their global friends in education
- A Thanksgiving Day Reflection on the Goodness of America
- Thanksgiving: We Must Become Again a People of Thanksgiving, Love and Light
- Black Friday, immoral and oppressive? How about - a RIP-OFF as well?
- Obama decide cierre de embajada de EEUU en el Vaticano: Muestra 'antipatía' hacia católicos
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?