Al Jazeera news service was spied upon by NSA
Qatar-based news service has broadcast audio and video messages from al-Qaeda leaders for more than 10 years
to documents seen by SPIEGEL, longtime Arab news broadcaster Al Jazeera
has been spied upon by the National Security Agency. The U.S.
intelligence agency reportedly was able to hack into protected
communication - and was considered a "success."
According to the document, in addition to cracking the airline reservation services for Russian airline Aeroflot, accessing "Al Jazeera broadcasting internal communication" was listed as a "notable success."
It appears that the NSA was so particularly interested in Al Jazeera that it hacked into the channel's internal communications system.
According to documents from former NSA contractor and whistleblower Edward Snowden, dated March 23, 2006, reveals the agency's Network Analysis Center managed to access and read communication by \"interesting targets\" that was specially protected by the news organization.
The latest revelations show that the NSA officials were not satisfied with Al Jazeera\'s language analysis.
According to the document, in addition to cracking the airline reservation services for Russian airline Aeroflot, accessing \"Al Jazeera broadcasting internal communication\" was listed as a \"notable success." The NSA said these selected targets had \"high potential as sources of intelligence.\"
The document then says that the encrypted information was forwarded to the responsible NSA departments for further analysis. The document didn't reveal to what extent the intelligence agency spied on journalists or managers of the media company, or whether the surveillance is ongoing.
Previous documents seen by SPIEGEL have not specified that the media were spied on by the NSA. As more information comes to light, the massive scope of the organization\'s international surveillance of telephone and Internet communication continues to grow.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- If Detroit declares bankruptcy - what then?
- United States teens still lagging behind their global friends in education
- Thanksgiving: We Must Become Again a People of Thanksgiving, Love and Light
- A Thanksgiving Day Reflection on the Goodness of America
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?