SHOCKING: Senator says IRS set to pay out $70 million in employee bonuses
'The IRS always claims to be short on resources .But it appears to have $70 million for union bonuses.'
While still stung by allegations that they unfairly interrogated right-wing and tea party groups, the Internal revenue Service is now set to award their employees with $70 million in bonuses. This, in spite of an Obama administration directive to cancel discretionary bonuses due to automatic spending cuts enacted this year. GOP Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa says his office has learned that the IRS is executing an agreement with the employees' union to pay the bonuses.
"The IRS always claims to be short on resources," GOP Senator Chuck Grassley of Iowa said. "But it appears to have $70 million for union bonuses.
"The IRS always claims to be short on resources," Grassley said. "But it appears to have $70 million for union bonuses. And it appears to be making an extra effort to give the bonuses despite opportunities to renegotiate with the union and federal instruction to cease discretionary bonuses during sequestration."
The directive was written by Danny Werfel, a former budget official who has since been appointed acting IRS commissioner. While the IRS said it is negotiating with the union over the matter - they didn't dispute Grassley's claim that the bonuses are imminent.
Office of Management and Budget "guidance directs that agencies should not pay discretionary monetary awards at this time, unless legally required," IRS spokeswoman Michelle Eldridge said in a statement.
"IRS is under a legal obligation to comply with its collective bargaining agreement, which specifies the terms by which awards are paid to bargaining-unit employees," Eldridge added, although she would not say whether the IRS believes it is contractually obligated to pay the bonuses.
"In accordance with OMB guidance, the IRS is actively engaged with NTEU on these matters in recognition of our current budgetary constraints," Eldridge said.
IRS officials acknowledged last month that agents had improperly targeted conservative groups for additional scrutiny when they applied for tax-exempt status during the 2010 and 2012 elections.
The agency's inspector general then issued a report shortly afterwards documenting lavish employee conferences during the same time period.
Much of the IRS' top leadership has been replaced since the scandals broke.
Grassley said the IRS notified the employee union on March 25 that it intended to reclaim about $75 million that had been set aside for discretionary employee bonuses. Grassley says his office has learned that the IRS never followed up on the notice. Instead, Grassley said, the IRS negotiated a new agreement with the bargaining unit to pay about $70 million in employee bonuses.
Grassley's office said the information came from a "person with knowledge of IRS budgetary procedures."
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Pimps, traffickers, sex workers and child pornography offenders reveal underground sex network
- Brothers in Arms: St Benedict and St Francis.
- Polish Bishops and Pope Francis Expose the Gender Identity Movement
- Deal Hudson on the Creed: What Kind of One is 'One God'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal SeŠn Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?