Court sides with Obama, Osama death photos can remain secret - for your own good
Court rules images can remain classified under an exception.
A Federal Appeals court has ruled that the death photos of Osama bin Laden can remain secret. A conservative watchdog group had previously petitioned for release of the images.
The conservative group, Judicial Watch, applied for the release of the photos under the 1966 Freedom of Information Act, which mandates the declassification of some government documents. However, the act allows for the prolonged classification of some documents under certain circumstances.
In this case, the Obama administration argued the images could not be made public because releasing them could spark protests and riots in which Americans could be targeted.
The court ruled that the risk of violence outweighed the benefit of releasing the images and therefore, the images could remain classified under the exception to the Act.
According to officials, the images show Osama bin laden after his death at his compound in Pakistan, then while being transported, and finally during his burial at sea.
The government said some of the pictures were taken to aid in CIA facial recognition to confirm the kill.
Neither Judicial Watch or representatives from the Obama administration had comments following the close of the case.
The case is Judicial Watch Inc v. U.S. Department of Defense and CIA, U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit, No. 12-5137.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- To Bill O'Reilly - Phil Robertson Was Quoting St Paul! Ignorance of Scripture is Ignorance of Christ
- Duck Dynasty and the GQ Interview of Phil Robertson: Rejecting Political Correctness
- Fr. Frank Pavone: We Will Obey God Rather Than Men. We Will Not Obey the HHS Mandate
- Ninety percent of Americans will celebrate Christmas this year - even 80 percent of non-Christians
- Portraits of Lee and Jackson taken down at college, high school renamed
- The unrelenting 'Gay Mafia' has bullied A&E into suspending 'Duck Dynasty' star Phil Robertson
- Archbishop Nienstedt Voluntary Steps Aside After Allegation, Claims it is Absolutely and Entirely False
- Here Comes Polygamy: Utah Federal Judge Strikes Down Much of the Prohibition against Polygamy
- New York teachers make twice as much as those in South Carolina
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?