Nebraska Bishop: Gosnell clinic was 'reminiscent of Auschwitz'
Gosnell's trial was treated as 'low-key, local story,' instead of horror that it was, he argues
The nation stood in rapt attention to the murder trial of abortionist Dr. Kermit Gosnell, who ran a filthy, diabolical clinic that catered to poor, disenfranchised women. Details of his many crimes were repeated in nauseating detail, but according to the Reverend James D. Conley of Lincoln, Nebraska, media coverage was not explicit enough.
Flea-ridden cats roamed about freely in Dr. Kermit Gosnell's abortion clinic and severed baby feet were kept in jars and aborted babies stuffed in containers and plastic bags.
"Somehow, this story went largely unnoticed by mainstream reporters," Conley wrote in his column. "One would expect a murderous doctor, running a 'clinic' reminiscent of Auschwitz, to face a media blitz and a burst of public outrage.
"Instead, Gosnell's trial has been treated as a low-key, local story," the bishop declared. "Pro-life advocates took up the task of publicizing it, using social media to make up for news outlets' silence."
"We rarely see journalists shying away from a gruesome case," Conley wrote. "Yet the media has been reluctant to cover the trial of Dr. Kermit Gosnell .."
The 72-year-old Gosnell was convicted of three counts of murder, for killing babies born alive during abortions by cutting their spinal cords with scissors. He was also found guilty of manslaughter in the case of a pregnant woman who died from an anesthesia overdose, He was also found guilty on more than 200 related charges, including conspiracy, infanticide, and theft by deception, corruption of minors and tampering with evidence. Gosnell was sentenced to three life terms in prison this week.
Gosnell's Philadelphia clinic was described as a "house of horrors," a filthy place with medical instruments and furniture spotted in blood. Flea-ridden cats roamed about freely, and severed baby feet were kept in jars and aborted babies stuffed in containers and plastic bags.
Gosnell "killed live, viable, moving, breathing, crying babies," stated the report. "He killed them by cutting their spinal cords after their mothers had delivered them after receiving excessive amounts of medication designed to induce active labor. This report documents multiple murders of viable babies. The evidence makes a compelling case that many others were also murdered."
"Our news outlets are not known for their squeamish attitude toward violence. On the contrary, reporters are often criticized for fixating on violence, exploiting it as fodder for the 24-hour news cycle," Conley wrote.
"I suspect journalists would rather ignore what happened at Gosnell's 'Medical Center,'" the bishop said. "The case raises too many disturbing questions - about the mentality behind abortion, and our culture's troubling attitude toward human life."
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?