Rare, pink diamond nets $39 million at Christie's auction
Both seller, buyer remain anonymous
An anonymous buyer at Christie's paid $39.3 million for a rare pink diamond once owned by Indian royalty. In a photo provided by Christie's, the rare pink diamond, nicknamed "the Princie Diamond," was sold for $39.3 million at auction in New York City.
The price for the 34.65-carat diamond was sold earlier this week to an anonymous buyer. The sale was the second-highest ever for a jewel sold at auction.
Both the seller and buyer were anonymous.
Discovered 300 years ago in the Golconda mines in India, it once belonged to the Nizam of Hyderabad, an Indian prince. The diamond was purchased at auction by the London branch of the jeweler Van Cleef & Arpels in 1960.
Its sobriquet was bestowed at a party at the firm's Paris store.
It was called "Princie" in honor of the 14-year-old prince of Baroda, who attended the party with his mother, Maharani Sita Devi.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Pimps, traffickers, sex workers and child pornography offenders reveal underground sex network
- Brothers in Arms: St Benedict and St Francis.
- Polish Bishops and Pope Francis Expose the Gender Identity Movement
- Deal Hudson on the Creed: What Kind of One is 'One God'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal SeŠn Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?