Should you be allowed to file your taxes without a return?
TurboTax, preparers say no to automatic filing.
Your friends from the IRS would like you to be able to file your taxes in minutes, using the benefits of modern technology, however companies such as TurboTax have successfully lobbied against the innovation, saying the government shouldn't be involved.
All the hassle, and expense of tax preparation is gone.
It's known as "return-free filing" and it could save consumers some $2 billion annually in fees paid for tax preparation. It would also save hours of time, not to mention headaches.
So why hasn't it happened?
Professional tax preparers have lobbied Congress since the Regan Administration, to hold off on return-free filing. Intuit, the maker of TurboTax has led the most recent lobbying effort, saying the company "opposes IRS government tax preparation."
It makes sense, after all return-free filing would cost the company millions in revenues each year.
However, many consumers may not trust the government enough to file such forms automatically and others prefer the ability to maximize their returns by employing optimal tax strategies, which such automatic programs may not employ.
However, advocates for return-free filing say the automatic method could simply be optional, allowing those who do not want the hassle and expense to use the method at will.
The program is certainly feasible, and would save money, but distrust of the government runs deep across the United States, so it's unlikely that TurboTax will be shelved, no matter what happens.
Still, the lobbying has been effective so far and there seems to be no change on the horizon.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- If Detroit declares bankruptcy - what then?
- United States teens still lagging behind their global friends in education
- A Thanksgiving Day Reflection on the Goodness of America
- Thanksgiving: We Must Become Again a People of Thanksgiving, Love and Light
- Black Friday, immoral and oppressive? How about - a RIP-OFF as well?
- Obama decide cierre de embajada de EEUU en el Vaticano: Muestra 'antipatía' hacia católicos
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?