Aide steals 25k from schoolkids, gets just 4 years probation - Chicago
Punishment seems light considering the age of the victims and the amount stolen.
A former Chicago Public Schools teaching assistant was sentenced to 4 years probation for embezzling almost $25,000 in money from a Northwest Side school. It seems like a lucky break for the now-convicted thief.
Sonia Lopez stole almost $25,000 dollars and was given 4 years probation.
The money she stole and spent was stolen from the school, and thereby from the kids for whom she was responsible. She also stole about $3,000 in cash collected from students for fees and other payments. She then attempted to cover her tracks by falsifying school records, suggesting the money was spent on legitimate purposes.
She has been sentenced to 4 years probation and ordered to repay the money. It counts as a lucky break. Many people have stole much less money from older people and institutions and seen prison for it.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Sonia Lopez, theft, school, Chicago, kids, embezzlement, probation
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- Court sides with Obama, Osama death photos can remain secret - for your own good
- Two Oklahoma men killed in tornadoes; Kansas, Iowa batten down for severe weather
- Supreme Court to decide if prayer before town meeting is permissible
- All survive terrifying plane 'belly landing' in Newark
- Nebraska Bishop: Gosnell clinic was 'reminiscent of Auschwitz'
- Why even if you lose, playing Powerball isn't such a bad bet after all
- Cheap cigarette outlets in U.S. may be funding terrorists
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?