Authorities raid internet cafes, allege gambling - Los Angeles
Internat cafes are facing increasing scrutiny from local and federal officials.
The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office has seized over 200 electronic gaming machines from an internet café. Internet cafes have come under scrutiny as illegal gambling houses.
Internet cafes are under new scrutiny as many turn into online gambling dens.
Internet cafes have come under suspicion as internet access is virtually ubiquitous. That individuals with home access to the web still spending time in internet cafes is itself suspicious. Authorities have recently discovered that many such cafes are not what they seem, and are actually operating online casinos.
On Tuesday, four locations were raided. Authorities did not say if further raids were likely.
Authorities say the most usual gimmick is to use the disguise of "promotional sweepstakes" in which players get "credits" to gamble away. Lucky players can earn up to $4,000.
Players are rarely lucky.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Internet cafes, gambling, sweepstakes, raids, illegal
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Violent Tsarnev friend killed by FBI after blaming Tamerlan for unsolved murders
- Eric Garcetti becomes Los Angeles' first Jewish mayor
- 12,000 homes damaged or destroyed in Moore, daunting road to recovery underway
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- Homeless man whose face was eaten away in cannibal attack recovering
- Court sides with Obama, Osama death photos can remain secret - for your own good
- Largest Burmese Python caught in Miami-Dade County
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?