Authorities raid internet cafes, allege gambling - Los Angeles
Internat cafes are facing increasing scrutiny from local and federal officials.
The San Bernardino County Sheriff's Office has seized over 200 electronic gaming machines from an internet café. Internet cafes have come under scrutiny as illegal gambling houses.
Internet cafes have come under suspicion as internet access is virtually ubiquitous. That individuals with home access to the web still spending time in internet cafes is itself suspicious. Authorities have recently discovered that many such cafes are not what they seem, and are actually operating online casinos.
On Tuesday, four locations were raided. Authorities did not say if further raids were likely.
Authorities say the most usual gimmick is to use the disguise of "promotional sweepstakes" in which players get "credits" to gamble away. Lucky players can earn up to $4,000.
Players are rarely lucky.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lord’s invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal Seán Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Deal Hudson on Culture and the Death of God
- 'Ag gag' bill passes in Idaho; filming at farms now prohibited
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?