Food trucks serving more than just food - Los Angeles
Police make 20 arrests for extortion of food trucks.
Apparently, food trucks in Los Angeles have been serving more than food to some customers. To some, they have been serving money. The LAPD says they have arrested at least 20 members of the notorious MS-13 street gang who have been extorting vendors for money.
There are 20 defendants, including four women and they are being held on bail ranging from $2 to $3 million each.
There are five others who remain under indictment, but their records have not been unsealed.
According to the records, the defendants would target smaller truck operators, typically those serving blue-collar workers. A yearlong investigation uncovered both weapons and drugs.
Gang members supposedly charged "rent" from vendors who sold food in territories claimed by the gang, and they were also forced to provide free food to gang members. The weekly rent was typically between $30 and $50.
If vendors refused to pay, they were threatened with violence including death.
MS-13 is reputed to be a particularly violent gang with ties to notorious drug cartels in Latin America. The gang is spreading across the United States, and has conducted operations as far away as the Eastern Seaboard.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- If Detroit declares bankruptcy - what then?
- United States teens still lagging behind their global friends in education
- Thanksgiving: We Must Become Again a People of Thanksgiving, Love and Light
- A Thanksgiving Day Reflection on the Goodness of America
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?