Florida lieutenant governor tenders surprise resignation
Some speculate resignation over conflict of interest
Florida's Lieutenant Governor Jennifer Carroll tendered her resignation abruptly two days after Florida law enforcement officials questioned her involvement with a non-profit under investigation. While Carroll's sudden resignation came as a surprise, many speculate she stepped down due to a conflict of interest.
Florida's Lieutenant Governor Jennifer Carroll tendered her resignation abruptly two days after Florida law enforcement officials questioned her involvement with a non-profit under investigation.
"Carroll once owned a public relations firm that represented the organization and worked for the group during some of the seven years she served in the Florida House of Representatives.
"Hollingsworth said arrests were made on Tuesday in connection with racketeering and money laundering charges involving Allied Veterans of the World.
"He said Carroll had been interviewed by the FDLE regarding her work with the firm and had resigned 'in an effort to keep her former affiliations with the company from distracting from the administration's important work on behalf of Florida families. She made the right decision for the state and her family.'"
Internet cafes "have been controversial for years," as local law enforcement officials see them as "fronts for casino gambling."
Newspaper accounts report that the investigation into what it calls "a Florida Internet sweepstakes company" is a federal one. It was unclear whether Carroll herself is being investigated.
The Florida Times-Union has a bit more detail on the investigation into Allied Veterans of the World.
"Authorities say the group donated just two percent of its $290 million in proceeds to charities over about five years," the Times-Union reports. "They also say the former president received more than $1.5 million and the national commander got $250,000 from the organization."
As a Republican member of the Florida House of Representatives, Carroll introduced legislation that would have legalized the online gambling industry. She withdrew that legislation, realizing there was a conflict of interest.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?