Convicted Killer Demands State Pay for His 'Sex-change' Operation
Prisoner, who killed wife, lobbies doctors to transform him into a woman
Michelle Kosilek - born Robert Kosilek, is an imprisoned murderer convicted in the murder of his wife. The 57-year-old transgendered person is incarcerated in a Massachusetts prison. He is now fighting to have a sex-change operation.
Convicted killer Robert Kosilek legally changed her name to Michelle and is currently living as a woman and receiving hormone treatments in an all-male prison.
One Massachusetts hospital is considering hosting Kosilek's taxpayer-funded surgery, while six doctors have expressed interest in performing it. The state Department of Correction still needs to find a doctor who can obtain a Massachusetts medical license and malpractice insurance.
U.S. District Judge Mark Wolf last September ordered prison officials to provide this surgery for the transgender inmate, saying the surgery is the "only adequate treatment" for what the Judge referred to as Kosilek's gender identity disorder.
Kosilek was found guilty of first-degree murder in the strangulation death of his wife Cheryl in 1990. He later dumped her body in a car in a mall parking lot.
The killer then legally changed her name to Michelle. He is currently pretending to live as a woman- and receiving hormone treatments - in an all-male prison.
Correction Commissioner Luis S. Spencer said in a court document that the department is willing to send the woman out of state if her surgery can't be completed in Massachusetts. She wants the surgery to take place in Massachusetts.
"The safety and security and logistical issues relative to the transportation and housing of Kosilek pre and post-surgery and during recuperation, if the (surgery) takes place out of state, would be significant," Spencer wrote in an affidavit.
Kosilek still has a long way to go before the surgery can take place. The response from the Massachusetts hospital was tentative.
The surgeon that performs the procedure needs to be granted malpractice insurance as well as a license to practice in the state. Of the six who have agreed to conduct the surgery, five are willing to come to Massachusetts. The licensing process could take up to six months, according to newspaper accounts.
Judge Wolf said in his ruling last year refusing to provide the surgery would be a violation of Kosilek's constitutional right against cruel and unusual punishment. Gender reassignment surgery is recognized as a medically sound treatment for gender identity disorder.
The state has appealed Wolf's decision. A hearing is scheduled for next month. State officials say that a sex change would turn Kosilek into a target for sexual assault by other inmates.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Transgenderism, prisoner, murderer, surgery
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Violent Tsarnev friend killed by FBI after blaming Tamerlan for unsolved murders
- Eric Garcetti becomes Los Angeles' first Jewish mayor
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- Homeless man whose face was eaten away in cannibal attack recovering
- Court sides with Obama, Osama death photos can remain secret - for your own good
- Largest Burmese Python caught in Miami-Dade County
- Supreme Court to decide if prayer before town meeting is permissible
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?