Los Angelinos reject tax hike amid apathetic turnout
Mayor's race to go into runoff.
Los Angeles voters went to the polls on Tuesday to elect a new mayor and to decide on an increase to the city's sales tax. Two mayoral candidates are headed for a runoff election and the sales tax measure failed.
Voters also appear to have rejected a sales tax increase that would have raised the city's sales tax to 9 percent, the highest in the state. Advocates say the sales tax is needed to prevent cuts to law enforcement and the fire department.
Turnout for the elections was poor with only a 16 percent turnout of eligible voters. Many are fatigued with elections, especially following the intense presidential election last November.
The new mayor will be seated this summer and face an immediate budget deficit of some $216 million per year.
Unfortunately, for voters, the runoff election means more campaigning and more fatigue leading up to the final vote.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?