Archdiocese to close schools, layoff employees - Chicago
Archdiocese faces deficit of $30 million.
The Archdiocese of Chicago is preparing to close five schools and lay off about 10 percent of its workforce. Citing "unsustainable" defects the downsizing was announced by Cardinal Francis George before his departure to Rome to participate in the Vatican conclave.
The Archdiocese has already downsized, laying off dozens of employees in a move that will save from $11 to $13 million per year by 2015.
"Our employees are faith-filled men and women who have worked tirelessly for the good of the Church. Please keep them in your prayers," the Cardinal wrote.
Students who attend schools slated for closure will be given financial aid so they may continue their Catholic education at another school. However, probably hundreds of other staff, including teachers, will be laid off.
The Archdiocese will also reduce its aid to schools.
We hope to return to a sustainable level of aid for those schools that will always be facing financial difficulties," he wrote.
Parishes will also find it more difficult to secure grants and capital loans for expansions.
The Cardinal also stated that the cutbacks were not related to the child-abuse settlements reached by the Church. He said those claims have been paid by the sale of undeveloped property.
Cardinal George concluded, "These actions are being taken now because the financial situation imposes them. We are also taking them, however, so that the archdiocese will have the resources she needs for her mission, picking up the challenge of the New Evangelization and re-proposing the Gospel of Jesus Christ to future generations."
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- If Detroit declares bankruptcy - what then?
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?