Cardinal Mahony deposed again, did he leave for Rome?
Where is Cardinal Roger Mahony?
Cardinal Mahony has been deposed once again for his role in numerous child sex abuse cover-ups. His latest deposition occurred on Saturday with a marathon session that lasted over three hours.
Lawyers say he remained calm and collected during the deposition. The most recent deposition was filled with new questions that arose from the publication of church records concerning pedophile priests.
Following the deposition, Mahony was scheduled to board a flight to Italy where he will attend a papal conclave and participate in electing the new pope following the planned resignation of Benedict XVI on Feb. 28.
Mahony has been asked not to attend that conclave by concerned Catholics who fear his presence will taint the election of a new pope. The former archbishop was presented with a petition containing the signatures of nearly 10,000 Catholics who were asking him not to attend.
The petition was organized by Catholics United.
Church officials have not commented on Mahony's deposition or his departure to Rome.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lord’s invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- Deal Hudson on Culture and the Death of God
- When the Alleluia's End: Learning Life Lessons from Job and His Fair-weather 'Friends'
- Be Blessed, Not Depressed: Dr Denton Weiss on Overcoming Depression
- Deal Hudson Visits a Welcoming Catholic Parish: Water in the Arizona Desert
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?