OC shooter was avid video gamer - Los Angeles
Motive for killings remains a mystery.
A young man who went on a shooting spree last week, killing three people before turning the gun on himself, was an avid video gamer according to his family. Ali Syed went on a shooting spree last Tuesday, during which he committed several assaults, murders, and carjackings, before shooting himself to death.
Described as a loner, Syed earned his diploma from Junipero Serra Continuation School and was enrolled in a single class at Saddleback College. He was unemployed and lived at home with his parents who say that he had plenty of time to spend on video games.
Early Tuesday morning, Syed shot and killed a young woman who was in his room. His parents did not know she was there. She was reported to be fully clothed and there were no signs of sexual assault. Syed's parents suggested they may have had an argument when he fatally shot her with a shotgun his father bought him a year earlier.
Syed fled his house in the family SUV and began a spree which would result in two other deaths of innocent bystanders, including a man who stopped to help Syed after he wrecked another vehicle he had stolen on is rampage.
Syed also shot at motorists as they drove on the freeway.
Eventually he was spotted by the Highway Patrol and during their pursuit he jumped from his vehicle and shot himself in the head, dying instantly.
Authorities still have no motive for his actions. There are no letters, emails or other details which may suggest why he acted as he did.
The killings add more fuel to the national debate over gun laws and what should be done to better protect people from gun violence, if anything at all.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Anti-Christian Persecution: Christians Forced out of Business in Colorado and New Mexico
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?