A list of what Jesse Jackson Jr. bought using his misspent campaign money
Could face sentence of 4 years or more.
Former U.S. Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. pled guilty in court today on charges that he conspired with his wife to steal away $750,000 in federal campaign finds to spend on his lavish lifestyle. He could face several years in prison.
The documents reveal that in January, 2006, Jackson opened a bank account under the name "Jesse Jackson Jr. for Congress" and in the year that followed he withdrew $43,000 for a Rolex watch. He also took $14,000 to pay down personal credit card debt.
He purchased a number of other items, which prosecutors listed.
-$60,000 on dining out, nightclubs and lounges
-$31,000 on airfare
-$17,000 on tobacco shops
-$16,000 on sports clubs
-$14,500 on dry cleaning
-$8,000 on groceries
-$7,000 on taxidermy
-$6,000 on drug stores
-$5,800 on alcohol
-$4,000 for a cruise
-$243 for a "Build a Bear"
In all he made about 31,000 personal purchases using campaign funds.
Jackson was caught in an FBI sting involving two elk's heads he had a taxidermist prepare. An undercover agent offered to pay $5,300 for the heads, and Jackson asked for the money to be wired to his personal account. This was the start of the FBI sting which eventually resulted in his arrest.
Jackson apologized as he left court today, and is now facing a potential sentence of about 4 years.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?