O'Connor lawyer blames TUMOR for BILLION dollar gambling spree
How many people could have been fed?
The tumor made her do it, or so said Maureen O'Connor's lawyer defending his client against allegations that she spent $1 billion over nine years on a gambling addiction. Connor, 66, was the former mayor of San Diego who took a plea deal after gambling millions taken from a charitable trust.
Maureen O'Connor with her attorney. Her attorney says a tumor may have made her gamble and lose a billion dollars over the past nine years.
After being charged for gambling the money, O'Connor took a plea deal from prosecutors that will save her from jail time, provided she pays $2 million in restitution and gets counseling.
Her lawyer suggested today that the addiction was a result of a brain tumor. To back the claim, he provided brain scans from a surgery she underwent in 2011.
O'Connor is now nearly destitute. O'Connor has apologized for what has happened and will be getting help.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- If Detroit declares bankruptcy - what then?
- United States teens still lagging behind their global friends in education
- A Thanksgiving Day Reflection on the Goodness of America
- Thanksgiving: We Must Become Again a People of Thanksgiving, Love and Light
- Black Friday, immoral and oppressive? How about - a RIP-OFF as well?
- Obama decide cierre de embajada de EEUU en el Vaticano: Muestra 'antipatía' hacia católicos
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?