Gangster arrested for murder of Hadiya Pendleton
Pendleton, 15, was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
The man who shot and killed Hadiya Pendleton, told police that the 15-year-old girl he shot "had nothing to do" with the gang conflict in which he was participating. "She was just there," suspect Michael Ward told police.
Police waited until Saturday to arrest the pair.
According to prosecutors, Ward and Williams were looking to shoot members of a rival gang as part of a running three-year feud. Ward was already on probation or a prior weapons conviction.
Witnesses described his vehicle to police, which was already known. In fact, both men were stopped just two days before the shooting as part of a gang enforcement action by police. Neither man was arrested at that time. However, the information collected on Ward and Williams during the gang enforcement activity helped police to identify the pair as suspects.
On Saturday, the decision was made to arrest the men and they were spotted in the same vehicle, driving to a strip club to attend a party. Police arrested the pair without incident and took them in for questioning.
A lawyer representing Ward says his client was denied access to legal counsel during questioning by detectives.
As both men wait in jail for the cases against them to be prepared, the rest of Chicago is trying to move on from the senseless killing of an innocent child. First Lady Michelle Obama attended the girl's funeral.
Meanwhile, the shooting has prompted lawmakers to call for a tougher gun control bill that would impose mandatory minimums for those who commit crimes while in possession of a firearm.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Mary, Our Lady of Quatlasupe - She who crushes the head of the serpent, is leading the New Evangelization
- David and Goliath: Radiance Foundation and Ryan Bomberger Defend Children, Stand Up to the NAACP
- Anti-Christian Persecution: Christians Forced out of Business in Colorado and New Mexico
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- HISTORICAL TREASURE: Shipwreck hunter finds 152-year-old Civil War-era ship in Lake Huron
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?