Disgraced Cardinal Mahony to help pick next pope
Next pope will have to deal with Mahony and his ilk.
Cardinal Mahony of the Los Angeles Archdiocese is back at work, just a week after being relieved of all public duties for his role in the child-abuse sex scandal. Archbishop Gomez relieved him after it was revealed that he personally tried to cover up the allegations of abuse and shielded offending priests.
Mahony praised Benedict, calling him "extraordinary" and saying that he looks forward to traveling to Rome. He posted, "I look forward to traveling to Rome soon to help thank Pope Benedict XVI for his gifted service to the Church, and to participate in the Conclave to elect his successor."
Mahony was soundly denounced by Archbishop Gomez saying "Effective immediately, I have informed Cardinal Mahony that he will no longer have any administrative or public duties."
However, it was clarified shortly afterwards that Mahony remained "in good standing" and that his powers as a cardinal remained.
In fact, Mahony may have no choice in the affair, as all Cardinals, under the age of 80, are actually required to vote.
For now, it appears the Cardinal will be going to Rome in a couple weeks and will join another 10 cardinals from the U.S. He should vote carefully. Whoever is the next pope is, he will be responsible for dealing with Mahony and those who have perpetrated and facilitated evil and abuse throughout the Church.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Mary, Our Lady of Quatlasupe - She who crushes the head of the serpent, is leading the New Evangelization
- David and Goliath: Radiance Foundation and Ryan Bomberger Defend Children, Stand Up to the NAACP
- Anti-Christian Persecution: Christians Forced out of Business in Colorado and New Mexico
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- HISTORICAL TREASURE: Shipwreck hunter finds 152-year-old Civil War-era ship in Lake Huron
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?