Archdiocese to seek $200 million from parishoners to pay for scandal
Final decision on campaign rests with Archbishop Gomez.
The Archdiocese of Los Angeles is seeking ways to raise $200 million to help pay expenses related to the sex abuse scandal and cover up perpetrated by Cardinal Mahony and others in the hierarchy. Archbishop Gomez has contracted with a New York firm to study the feasibility of a fundraising campaign.
It remains to be seen if parishioners will pay the costs of the scandal.
Those cases and their cover up resulted in a civil suit in which a judge leveled a $660 million verdict against the archdiocese. To pay the costs, the archdiocese has already sold numerous assets and tapped into financial reserves. Still, the archdiocese needs additional finds to satisfy the judgment.
The possible fundraiser will try to raise $175 million pay outstanding debt from the verdict. The archdiocese is still paying off loans that it took to pay the initial part of the settlement.
The funds generated by the new drive will be split between paying off the settlement as well as various projects which will provide general upkeep and repair of the churches and school facilities.
If the campaign moves forward, it will be the first such campaign since 1949. In 1949, a church fundraising campaign brought in $3.5 million.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Gomez, Mahony, Curry, sex abuse, children, molestation, church, cover up, documents, settlement, fundraising, campaign
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Gay youths to be allowed to join Boy Scouts: Controversy rages
- Bridge that collapsed in Washington State was structurally unsound
- 12,000 homes damaged or destroyed in Moore, daunting road to recovery underway
- Eric Garcetti becomes Los Angeles' first Jewish mayor
- Violent Tsarnev friend killed by FBI after blaming Tamerlan for unsolved murders
- Homeless man whose face was eaten away in cannibal attack recovering
- Priests for Life: Pain-Capable Unborn Child Protection Act Most Significant Legislative Step Forward
- In the Wake of the Moore Tornado: What Can we Learn from the Disaster?
- US Supreme Court Accepts Religion Case: Will Legislative Prayer Survive Religious Censorship?
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?