Dems pull cruel stunt to garner votes under guise of gun control - Denver
Absurd proposal is made more heartbreaking by enlisting survivor support.
Colorado Democrats plan to introduce a bill that would hold gun makers and sellers liable for damages inflicted by those who use them. However, the idea is poor and to make up the difference, they have proposed the idea while flanked by survivors.
Improved gun laws are reasonable. Ridiculous provisions sold using survivors, disgusting.
This is similar to blaming a car manufacturer for someone's drunk driving accident.
The announcement was made with all the pomp and fanfare of a somber political rally with politicians cashing in on the Columbine, Aurora, and Sandy Hook shootings. Flanked by survivors, who were perhaps unaware they were being used as props, Democratic leaders claimed with serious faces that the plank was a sensible part of comprehensive gun reform.
There can be no objection to reasonable gun laws, but holding makers and sellers liable is so unreasonable that it is absurd. So absurd in fact, that it is a waste of time.
Unfortunately, they are using time and political capitol to advance their reelection by currying favor with an emotional electorate. We can hardly blame them.
However, we must. Comprehensive reform is acceptable when it is needed and our politicians ought to strive for it. However, planking ludicrous provisions into bills are nothing less than political theater designed to garner future votes.
Using survivors as props in political theater is disgusting.
If you wish to make our streets safer by reforming gun laws, then by all means, please do so. But at least have the decency to propose reforms that are sensible and don't hold up survivors as props for your theatrics.
It is unlikely that the proposal as suggested will survive the process, making it as much a waste of everyone's time as it is wrong.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Denver, gunc control, Columbine, Aurora, Sandy Hook, shootings, liability, manufacturers
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Cheers Star: We Didn't Need Surveillance When We Were Kids - 'We Had God'
- Poorly prepared teachers steering nation's classrooms
- Did Pocahontas save explorer John Smith here? Native American site of Werowocomoco fascinating regardless
- No-one Can Change the Truth About Fatherhood. Love Your Father. Be a Good Father
- IN SEARCH OF SUNKEN TREASURE: Divers plunge into Lake Michigan to search for 17th Century ship
- Courageous Bishop Paprocki Shows Us How To Contend for the Truth About Marriage
- Courageous Cardinal George of Chicago Defends Marriage, Calls for Public Conversion
- Archbishop Chaput Cuts Through the Double Talk About Religious Liberty
- CENSUS: Non-Hispanic whites hits all-time low of 63 percent
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?