The good news, housing is up. The bad news, you still don't get one.
Plan on paying rent for awhile longer.
If you have been waiting to buy a home, you may have missed the boat, at least at the lowest prices. Prices posted record gains in December fueling speculation of another boom in the market. However, market conditions still keep many from buying.
Sold! But to an investor, not to you...
California home prices jumped 12.6 percent compared to December, 2011, making the state's prices some of the highest in the nation again. Economists say there's real substance behind the rise, with strengthening fundamentals.
However, strengthening prices are also likely to invite speculators. If the long-term prognosis is continued growth, speculators may enter the market in a fresh wave, looking to make money on quick turnarounds.
Such an influx of speculators would drive home prices up further.
Currently, investors are buying homes at a competitive rate, with traditional homeowners still struggling to buy. And with supply of new and existing homes dropping and demand increasing, prices will only rise. Unfortunately, the average working-class American will still face an uphill battle to buy a home, unless he has good credit and is willing to settle.
Difficult lending terms make it hard for many buyers to obtain financing and existing owners are more likely to sell to investors who have cash on hand, cutting out banks altogether.
If this bears out, then the boom may be a bust of another sort for many working-class Americans.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: rent, housing, speculators, investors, market, increase, decline, fundamentals
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Cheers Star: We Didn't Need Surveillance When We Were Kids - 'We Had God'
- IN SEARCH OF SUNKEN TREASURE: Divers plunge into Lake Michigan to search for 17th Century ship
- No-one Can Change the Truth About Fatherhood. Love Your Father. Be a Good Father
- Archbishop Chaput Cuts Through the Double Talk About Religious Liberty
- Courageous Cardinal George of Chicago Defends Marriage, Calls for Public Conversion
- Courageous Bishop Paprocki Shows Us How To Contend for the Truth About Marriage
- Lowest of the low: Man steals 92-year-old man's glasses and Bible in Manhattan
- SHOCKING COURTROOM VIDEO: Nevada woman arrested by same Marshall she says sexually assaulted her
- CENSUS: Non-Hispanic whites hits all-time low of 63 percent
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?