The good news, housing is up. The bad news, you still don't get one.
Plan on paying rent for awhile longer.
If you have been waiting to buy a home, you may have missed the boat, at least at the lowest prices. Prices posted record gains in December fueling speculation of another boom in the market. However, market conditions still keep many from buying.
California home prices jumped 12.6 percent compared to December, 2011, making the state's prices some of the highest in the nation again. Economists say there's real substance behind the rise, with strengthening fundamentals.
However, strengthening prices are also likely to invite speculators. If the long-term prognosis is continued growth, speculators may enter the market in a fresh wave, looking to make money on quick turnarounds.
Such an influx of speculators would drive home prices up further.
Currently, investors are buying homes at a competitive rate, with traditional homeowners still struggling to buy. And with supply of new and existing homes dropping and demand increasing, prices will only rise. Unfortunately, the average working-class American will still face an uphill battle to buy a home, unless he has good credit and is willing to settle.
Difficult lending terms make it hard for many buyers to obtain financing and existing owners are more likely to sell to investors who have cash on hand, cutting out banks altogether.
If this bears out, then the boom may be a bust of another sort for many working-class Americans.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- Nuclear password to start World War III - was 00000000
- Same-sex weddings now comprise 17 percent of all Washington state marriages
- St. Nicholas: Yes, Virginia, There is a Santa
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?