The good news, housing is up. The bad news, you still don't get one.
Plan on paying rent for awhile longer.
If you have been waiting to buy a home, you may have missed the boat, at least at the lowest prices. Prices posted record gains in December fueling speculation of another boom in the market. However, market conditions still keep many from buying.
California home prices jumped 12.6 percent compared to December, 2011, making the state's prices some of the highest in the nation again. Economists say there's real substance behind the rise, with strengthening fundamentals.
However, strengthening prices are also likely to invite speculators. If the long-term prognosis is continued growth, speculators may enter the market in a fresh wave, looking to make money on quick turnarounds.
Such an influx of speculators would drive home prices up further.
Currently, investors are buying homes at a competitive rate, with traditional homeowners still struggling to buy. And with supply of new and existing homes dropping and demand increasing, prices will only rise. Unfortunately, the average working-class American will still face an uphill battle to buy a home, unless he has good credit and is willing to settle.
Difficult lending terms make it hard for many buyers to obtain financing and existing owners are more likely to sell to investors who have cash on hand, cutting out banks altogether.
If this bears out, then the boom may be a bust of another sort for many working-class Americans.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal SeŠn Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Deal Hudson on Culture and the Death of God
- 'Ag gag' bill passes in Idaho; filming at farms now prohibited
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?