Cash for gold shops facing tighter regulations - Philadelphia
States want a fair share the the revenue and police more efficient cooperation.
Cash for gold shops have sprung up all over America particularly in the wake of the Great Recession. As millions of people looked for extra cash, cash for gold stores proved profitable amid rising gold prices.
Cash for gold shops are popular places for thieves and those who are down on their luck. Across the nation tighter regulations are taking hold.
Now authorities in Cherry Hill and around the nation, are looking to close the loophole.
Many cash for gold stores deal locally, using paper records, making it difficult for police to track their activities. While those records have to be handed over to police upon request, the quick turnaround often means evidence is shipped away for destruction before it can be recovered.
New regulations proposed by the Cherry Hill City Council would change that, compelling all cash for gold stores to keep digital records and to report those transactions within 48 hours.
What's happening in Cherry Hill is also starting to happen across the nation as states want to make sure they get their share of the gold business, while helping police to catch thieves.
Secondhand dealers of both gold and other artifacts including pawn shops and antique stores, are being drawn into the 21st century as municipalities across the nation start compelling better records keeping and cooperation with police. Pawn and cash for gold shops are popular places to dispose of stolen property.
Hopefully they will become less so as controls improve.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- David and Goliath: Radiance Foundation and Ryan Bomberger Defend Children, Stand Up to the NAACP
- Anti-Christian Persecution: Christians Forced out of Business in Colorado and New Mexico
- Mary, Our Lady of Quatlasupe - She who crushes the head of the serpent, is leading the New Evangelization
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- HISTORICAL TREASURE: Shipwreck hunter finds 152-year-old Civil War-era ship in Lake Huron
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?