Church corrects lawyers who claimed fetus not entitled to legal protection - Denver
Lawyers are defending Catholic hospital from wrongful death case involving a mother and her two unborn children.
Catholic Health Initiates and St. Thomas More Hospital have made an important acknowledgement, stating that it was morally wrong for their attorneys to present a defense that violates Catholic teaching. The attorneys claimed in their suit, representing the Catholic institutions, that an unborn child was merely a fetus and not covered under the law.
Lawyers have been corrected after making some rather offensive arguments about children in the womb while representing a Catholic hospital.
The lawyers are defending the hospital from a wrongful death suit brought by the death of Lori Stodghill, 31, back in 2006. Stodghill was seven months pregnant when she and her children died.
Under Colorado law, the lawyer's claims are legally correct, however they violate the scientific and doctrinal truth that life begins at the moment of conception.
The case has been appealed to the Colorado Supreme Court and lawyers have promised not to raise the argument in defense of the hospital because of its inherently false implications.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Colorado, wrongful death, unborn children, fetus, lawyers, human, life, conception
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Cheers Star: We Didn't Need Surveillance When We Were Kids - 'We Had God'
- Poorly prepared teachers steering nation's classrooms
- Did Pocahontas save explorer John Smith here? Native American site of Werowocomoco fascinating regardless
- No-one Can Change the Truth About Fatherhood. Love Your Father. Be a Good Father
- IN SEARCH OF SUNKEN TREASURE: Divers plunge into Lake Michigan to search for 17th Century ship
- Courageous Bishop Paprocki Shows Us How To Contend for the Truth About Marriage
- Courageous Cardinal George of Chicago Defends Marriage, Calls for Public Conversion
- Archbishop Chaput Cuts Through the Double Talk About Religious Liberty
- CENSUS: Non-Hispanic whites hits all-time low of 63 percent
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?