Tourists coming to America just to have anchor babies
Problem has spiked in Los Angeles County.
Complaints over the development of a new industry in Los Angeles have skyrocketed as citizens become aware of "birth tourism." Promoted mainly in Asia, women travel to the United States and reside in residential communities long enough to give birth.
The hotels are marketed to women overseas, particularly in Asia, with sales pitches focusing on the benefits of American citizenship, including generous social welfare programs and free education. Women are also advised how to evade authorities and avoid suspicion when they travel. Immigration officials are free to bar entry into the country if they do not believe the stated motive for travel.
The practice of birth tourism is spiking in Los Angeles with 60 "maternity hotels" being reported in the past month alone. Typically, these hotels are just houses nestled in residential neighborhoods. The practice isn't illegal either, leaving L.A. County officials to use zoning codes and other complaints to try and shut down the operations.
However, getting past the door to inspect the facilities is a problem. Inspectors are often forced to stand at locked doors, refused entry by the occupants who simple act like they're not home, although they clearly are. Inspectors cannot enter the houses without permission.
At other homes, the occupants insist they do not speak English, which creates a language barrier than makes it difficult for inspectors to do their work.
So far, the county has only been able to shut down just three of the operations.
For now, city officials are sending Cantonese and Mandarin speaking translators to help and they're going after owners with tax code violations. Unless a law is passed to close the loophole, this will be the best they can do.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Mary, Our Lady of Quatlasupe - She who crushes the head of the serpent, is leading the New Evangelization
- David and Goliath: Radiance Foundation and Ryan Bomberger Defend Children, Stand Up to the NAACP
- Anti-Christian Persecution: Christians Forced out of Business in Colorado and New Mexico
- HISTORICAL TREASURE: Shipwreck hunter finds 152-year-old Civil War-era ship in Lake Huron
- My Journey Home to the Church and to Penance, the Sacrament of Freedom
- Pope Francis calls for your 'prayer and action' to end global hunger
- Crisis pregnancy Centers: Heeding Pope Francis' Call to 'Accompany' Women Contemplating Abortion
- What happened to Roanoke's Lost Colony? New clues cast a mysterious light on an old legend
- Fr Paul Schenck: Immaculate Conception Tells us Who Mary Is and Who We Are
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?