Thieves steal car and Torah from Brooklyn synagogue
Fortunately, the Torah has been recovered.
Police have recovered a Torah worth an estimated $30,000 after thieves stole the keys from a synagogue. The Rabbi and community are relieved. The thieves likely did not appreciate the value of the Torah, which might have been hard to sell anyway.
Torah scrolls are incredibly precious and valuable.
When he returned at sunset on Saturday, his keys, and his car were gone. Inside the car was a torah, worth an estimated $30,000, which he was repairing.
For Jews, Torah scrolls are exceptionally precious.
Rabbi Tamaiev said he could not forgive himself, and that he felt as though a house had burned.
Assemblyman Dov Hikind, offered a $3,000 reward for the return of the Torah.
Police later found the vehicle, Torah inside, just a few blocks away. The Torah was returned.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
- - -
Pope Benedict XVI's Prayer Intentions for January 2013
General Intention: The Faith of Christians. That in this Year of Faith Christians may deepen their knowledge of the mystery of Christ and witness joyfully to the gift of faith in him.
Missionary Intention: Middle Eastern Christians. That the Christian communities of the Middle East, often discriminated against, may receive from the Holy Spirit the strength of fidelity and perseverance.
Keywords: Torah, Brooklyn, synagogue, thieves
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Nebraska Bishop: Gosnell clinic was 'reminiscent of Auschwitz'
- Why even if you lose, playing Powerball isn't such a bad bet after all
- Cheap cigarette outlets in U.S. may be funding terrorists
- Shocking report reveals 38 men, 33 women are raped each day in the military
- Father Frank Pavone: Houston Abortionist Killing Babies Born Alive
- Bill Donohue, Catholic League, Disclose Fight with the IRS, Demonstrate Courage
- Chilling note scrawled by bloodied Boston terrorist reveals motive
- Sex In Uniform: Why the Increase in Sexual Assaults in the Military?
- Dr. Glidden of Catalina Island: Monster or historian?
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?