Cal State system gets millions, students will see zero
New money comes into the system as students have been hit with hikes and cuts.
The California State University Board of Trustees is meeting through Wednesday to decide how to spend $125 million dollars in new funding for the 23-campuses in the CSU system. Governor Brown has already said he has a few ideas.
Students protest cuts and hikes in the CSU system. Despite the pain caused to students, it is unlikely they will see rebates or reduced tuition.
The CSU Board of Trustees has blamed state spending cuts for much of the need for class cuts and tuition hikes. Those developments have sparked student protests.
Students may hope to see some relief from higher tuition, however there's no suggestion that students will see rebates or even freezes on future tuition costs as the system contemplates what to do with its millions.
Gov. Jerry Brown has proposed spending $10 million on providing online courses for students, saying such courses can save the system millions in the long-run.
The Cal State Online system, which was unveiled earlier this month, is especially targeted to students who need just a few classes or less to graduate.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Courageous Cardinal George Challenges Us to Use Lent as a Time to Take Stock of Our Lives
- Deal Hudson on the Creed: What Kind of One is 'One God'
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal SeŠn Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?