Attack of the drones! - Orlando
Orange County Sheriff's Department deploys drones.
The Orange County Sheriff's Department unveiled two new unmanned aerial reconnaissance drones today, promising sweetly that the craft would not be used for spying on civilians.
Instead, he promised that the drones would be used for hostage situations and chemical spills, and for search and rescue operations.
The drones, although sophisticated, are nothing like larger military craft used to patrol over the deserts of Afghanistan. Instead, these are more like miniature helicopters with a three-foot wingspan. They can manage sustained flight for only short intervals of about fifteen minutes at a time.
However, their small size combines with their quiet operation, making them difficult to detect.
They also cost about $25,000 each, the price of a decent new car.
Across the U.S. law enforcement officials have applied to the Federal Aviation Administration for permission to operate drones over American cities and rural areas. And although most Americans remain skeptical about their future use, plans are proceeding apace to see them in service across the country.
© 2013, Distributed by NEWS CONSORTIUM.
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for December 2013
General Intention: Victimized Children. That children who are victims of abandonment or violence may find the love and protection they need.
Missionary Intention: Prepare the Savior's Coming. That Christians, enlightened by the Word incarnate, may prepare humanity for the Savior's coming.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- HHS Mandate News: Priests for Life to Have its Day in Court!
- How Many Loaves Do You Have? Living the Miracle of the Loaves Today
- If Detroit declares bankruptcy - what then?
- United States teens still lagging behind their global friends in education
- A Thanksgiving Day Reflection on the Goodness of America
- Thanksgiving: We Must Become Again a People of Thanksgiving, Love and Light
- Black Friday, immoral and oppressive? How about - a RIP-OFF as well?
- Obama decide cierre de embajada de EEUU en el Vaticano: Muestra 'antipatía' hacia católicos
- Very first book printed in U.S. sold at auction for record-breaking $14 million
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?