Attack of the drones! - Orlando
Orange County Sheriff's Department deploys drones.
The Orange County Sheriff's Department unveiled two new unmanned aerial reconnaissance drones today, promising sweetly that the craft would not be used for spying on civilians.
Instead, he promised that the drones would be used for hostage situations and chemical spills, and for search and rescue operations.
The drones, although sophisticated, are nothing like larger military craft used to patrol over the deserts of Afghanistan. Instead, these are more like miniature helicopters with a three-foot wingspan. They can manage sustained flight for only short intervals of about fifteen minutes at a time.
However, their small size combines with their quiet operation, making them difficult to detect.
They also cost about $25,000 each, the price of a decent new car.
Across the U.S. law enforcement officials have applied to the Federal Aviation Administration for permission to operate drones over American cities and rural areas. And although most Americans remain skeptical about their future use, plans are proceeding apace to see them in service across the country.
© 2014 - Distributed by THE NEWS CONSORTIUM
Pope Francis Prayer Intentions for March 2014
Respect for Women: That all cultures may respect the rights and dignity of women.
Vocations: That many young people may accept the Lordís invitation to consecrate their lives to proclaiming the Gospel.
Rate This Article
Leave a Comment
More U.S. News
- Fr. Paul Schenck: The New Eugenics, 'Better Babies' and the Dangers of Biotechnology
- Interview With Cardinal SeŠn Patrick O'Malley Gives Insights into the Heart of Pope Francis
- Deal W. Hudson: Why Social Conservatives Should Become Cultural Conservatives
- CORPORATE SPY: Engineering consultant accused of stealing secrets from DuPont for Chinese
- 24th season of Defending Life Premiered March 5th on EWTN
- Justina Pelletier: Massachusetts DCF Running for Cover Under Legal and Media Pressure
- Matt C. Abbott On a New Book, The Seven Big Myths About Marriage
- Deal Hudson on Culture and the Death of God
- 'Ag gag' bill passes in Idaho; filming at farms now prohibited
- Fr. Paul Schenck: Finding Living Faith on Catechetical Sunday
- The Movie Yellow: Incest as 'Normal' and Cassavates's Slides Into the World of Woes
- The Chicago School Teachers Strike Reveals the Need For School Choice
- The Sexual Barbarians and the Dissolution of Culture
- The Happy Priest Challenges Us to Ask: Who is Jesus to Me?
- Michael Coren on Canadian Public Schools: Teachers, leave those kids alone
- We Cannot Ignore Our Consciences: Cardinal Dolan On Religious Liberty
- In the Face of Danger, Successor of Peter Travels to Lebanon as a Messenger of Peace
- Reflections on the Dignity and Vocation of Women: Who or What?